MBA
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset Crank bolt stripped, help!

I've stripped the 8mm allen socket bolt on the right side crank. It does turn CCW to remove doesn't it?

Any ideas how to get it out?

Cracker-magnon
    CCW is right if it is the bolt on the spindle. if it is completely stripped & you have a drill, you may have to go to the hardware store and get an easy-out bit. Basically you drill a hole in the bolt, and then the easy-out threads in CCW and when it tightens up, it will back the bolt out. If it is not completely stripped try a standard allen that is a bit bigger or even a 9mm if you can find one and see if you can tap it in with a hammer. Otherwise it is a trip to the LBS. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MBA
    I've stripped the 8mm allen socket bolt on the right side crank. It does turn CCW to remove doesn't it?

Any ideas how to get it out?
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004

another method (wecsog approved)

you can also cut a slot in the bolt head w/ a dremel cut-off wheel (remove the thrust cap first) and then use a big flat blade screwdriver to bust it loose.

good luck!
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Insert the 8mm wrench as usual and use an arc welder to tack weld the wrench to the bolt in a couple os places. Small tacks will do and won't put a lot of heat into your bb. When you get the bolt out use a hacksaw to cut the bolt off of the wrench and throw the bolt away. No matter what method you use throw the bolt away!

Contrarian
    Have you rounded the head or stripped the threads? Is the allen key spinning in the head or is the bolt turning but not coming out? If the hex head is all chewed up you may be able to find a Torx bit that you can hammer in there. Torx bits are great for removing chewed up allen bolts.

mtbr member

may not need a drill, just a big easy-out bit

Since you say the crank bolt is an 8mm allen...

if it's hollow and the 8mm allen bolt already has a huge hole in/through it, you just need to find a large enough easy-out bit (eob)

if its a non-hollow bolt, you'll need to give the end of the oeb some room and therefore will need to drill some

either way, one key to success is to SLOWLY turn the eob CCW until its reverse tap "threads" bite into the allen... go too fast (or drill too little) and you'll just take even more material off the allen bolt

congratulations, once you buy that eob you'll be well prepared for unstucking lots of bolts - I use mine on chainring bolts more often than any other type