mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Crank & BB questions (profile, "euro", etc)

I have a bad bearing on my Surly 1x1 and I'm thinking it could be a good excuse to upgrade the cranks altogether. I love Profile cranks, but I am having trouble finding some for the right price (cheap). I know Profile used to make some GT-branded cranks which were exactly the same, and I've seen some cranks similar to the Profiles. My questions:

1) What companies make cranks similar in style to Profile's bombproof steel cranks?

2) More importantly, are BMX "euro" bottom brackets threaded the same as my Surly, and would I be able to buy a set of Profiles with a Euro BB to use on my 1x1?

3) Are all the Profile arms the same (in other words, if I found a set of BMX arms, would I be able to mount a spider on them and buy a Profile MTB BB to use them with, or are there differences between the MTB and BMX versions?)

Thanks in advance!
    Waterford 1200 road bike
    Kona Kilauea SS conversion
    Fort CC.Onix singlespeed
    Surly 1x1 singlespeed

is buachail foighneach me
    #1. i dunno, but there are loads of them out there. see #2

#2. yes, a bmx "euro" bb is a standard threaded mtb bb. check the bmx catalogs for bmx cranks with euro bb's.

#3. yes, the spline interface between profile steel bmx cranks and mtb cranks are the same.

honestly though, if you ask me you're going overkill. your 1x1 frame will break long before a set of shitmano lx cranks/bb.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiro75
    I have a bad bearing on my Surly 1x1 and I'm thinking it could be a good excuse to upgrade the cranks altogether. I love Profile cranks, but I am having trouble finding some for the right price (cheap). I know Profile used to make some GT-branded cranks which were exactly the same, and I've seen some cranks similar to the Profiles. My questions:

1) What companies make cranks similar in style to Profile's bombproof steel cranks?

2) More importantly, are BMX "euro" bottom brackets threaded the same as my Surly, and would I be able to buy a set of Profiles with a Euro BB to use on my 1x1?

3) Are all the Profile arms the same (in other words, if I found a set of BMX arms, would I be able to mount a spider on them and buy a Profile MTB BB to use them with, or are there differences between the MTB and BMX versions?)

Thanks in advance!
    1. Lots. Look around. If you want 175 or 180mm arms the FSA X-Drive is a great deal and has the best BB IMO: http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...id=5594&type=T
    2. No problem
    3. The Profile you want and the FSA use 48-spline 19mm spindles. Many others do, too. There are other spindle diameters and spline count models. Avoid them.
      You can use any BMX spider or chainwheel that fits the spindle (they usually say).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

e-bay?

II love Profile cranks, but I am having trouble finding some for the right price (cheap).
    try e-bay - right now, there are arms for $70 and some bearings for $30 (both without bids and "lightly used"). Also some new FSA Nasty Boys for $120... search on "profile crank" or "profile euro".

BTW - I use the Profile 185mm length cranks, BMX chainwheel, and euro bottom bracket on my XL Surly Karate Monkey set up as a 1X7 commuter. While a tad on the heavy side, they work great and are as bombproof as the Surly .

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks, guys. I've bid on a couple sets of Profiles on ebay, but keep getting outbid by a buck!
    Waterford 1200 road bike
    Kona Kilauea SS conversion
    Fort CC.Onix singlespeed
    Surly 1x1 singlespeed

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There are ti spindles available for the Profile cranks and others that are the same design. It saves about a pound off the crankset and can be found for around $80 at danscomp and other bmx sites.

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys. I've bid on a couple sets of Profiles on ebay, but keep getting outbid by a buck!
    Most good e-bayers are "snipers", bidding in the last few minutes or even seconds (I usually bid with 7 seconds or less). You do this because of the proxy bidding system used on e-bay, where the price is not set by the highest bid, but the second highest bid (i.e., the selling price is greater than the second highest bid by an amount equal to the "bid increment", which is $1 for items in the price range we're talking here).

To snipe, refresh your screen with about three minutes left in the auction to synchronize with a clock equipped with a second hand. Then bid and confirm the bid with about 30 seconds left (or less) and bid some $20-30 over the current price. You probably won't pay your proxy bid, but pay only $1 more than the next highest bid. And with no time left, nobody has time to bid again after being outbid. Or... you make another sniper pay a $1 more than your bid.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsbbc
    There are ti spindles available for the Profile cranks and others that are the same design. It saves about a pound off the crankset and can be found for around $80 at danscomp and other bmx sites.
    By my own measurements, the ti spindles are ~1/4 to 1/2 pound lighter than the steel spindles.

A Profile Racing 6" ti spindle weighs 170g.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common