WAM
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Crack in my MC Utilitiman

I was just cleaning off my MC Utilitiman the other night and thought there was something sticky on the seat post, Looked closer and there is a hair line crack along the welds and the seat post that attach the seat stays to the seat tube and the top tube to the seat tube. Upon further inspection the sleeve inside the seat tube only extends to the same point where these welds are. So, it appears that the stress from the seat post was focused on the same spot as the welds.

Anyway, the guys at http://www.mtnittanywheelworks.com/ are going to get me in touch with someone to look at it to see what options I have.

Obviously, I expect some harassment along the lines of "just call Matt, I'm sure he'll warranty the frame", but please keep that to a minimum. I'm grieving over the potential loss of a great friend.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by WAM
    Obviously, I expect some harassment along the lines of "just call Matt, I'm sure he'll warranty the frame", but please keep that to a minimum. I'm grieving over the potential loss of a great friend.
    not to harass, but why would you consider any other option? i'm sure Matt would be interested to know this kind of info.
    will you rep me?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    not to harass, but why would you consider any other option? i'm sure Matt would be interested to know this kind of info.
    He might be interested in knowing, but his reputation for customer service is somewhat lacking.

Good luck with the frame; I hope it can be repaired.

mtbr member
    bummer. but that frame has to be worth getting repaired. it's not really about money. i considered getting one of his frames long ago, and i wish i had. good idea to look around and see who can reweld titanium.

'Calm Down'
    +1

I know of one frame that's been replaced/delivered recently and another one that is in the process. Matt seems to have worked through his issues and now appears to building steadily. (Working on his backlog.) You should send him a note and see what he has to say.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

those are Rollercams...
    I was just cleaning off my MC Utilitiman the other night and thought there was something sticky on the seat post, Looked closer and there is a hair line crack along the welds and the seat post that attach the seat stays to the seat tube and the top tube to the seat tube. Upon further inspection the sleeve inside the seat tube only extends to the same point where these welds are. So, it appears that the stress from the seat post was focused on the same spot as the welds.

Anyway, the guys at http://www.mtnittanywheelworks.com/ are going to get me in touch with someone to look at it to see what options I have.

I'd contact him but I would also keep my options open as to evaluation/repair by someone with an established history of reliablity as well. Hope it turns out positively for you.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

WAM
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any ideas on how to get ahold of Matt?

'Calm Down'
    I'd try his website: http://www.mattchester.com/

Or directly at: mctifab [at] gmail [dot] com

jw

Any ideas on how to get ahold of Matt?
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

WAM
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Matt contacted me!

It looks like Matt is going to be showing me some love! We haven't talked about all the details, but he's going to be takin' good care of me!

Matt appears to still rule the world!,
    imho