Humpmaster general

couple of questions

I am looking into the single speed thing and I have a couple of questions.

What is the difference between single speed and fixed gear?

How do I get around the fact that I have vertical drop out?

I really want a coaster brake like my kids have on their huffy bikes, Is that possible? (I do understand the ramifications of only having a rear brake but I think I will be ok). does anyone use a coaster brake?
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    If coaster brake is the one where the bike brakes when you crank backwards, then I think thats one of the worst ideas i've ever heard

I rode a trail with a coaster brake once and came home with numerous bruises and scrapes ... about 5 crashes at speed. If you're like me, you subconciously get into the attack position when going dowhhill. This sometimes means that you have to pedal backwards. With coaster brakes, you skid about 20 feet when you do this. "Wtf just happened...??"

But I am by no means an 'advanced' rider, so my skill is quite lacking in many respects.

To answer your question, go to the post about converting a Hardrock. It's farther down. That should answer lots of questions. Then go to the FAQs on the right and you'll get all you need.

Fixed gear is a setup where you can't coast. As long as your wheels spin, your feet spin.

hope this helps.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    If coaster brake is the one where the bike brakes when you crank backwards, then I think thats one of the worst ideas i've ever heard

I rode a trail with a coaster brake once and came home with numerous bruises and scrapes ... about 5 crashes at speed. If you're like me, you subconciously get into the attack position when going dowhhill. This sometimes means that you have to pedal backwards. With coaster brakes, you skid about 20 feet when you do this. "Wtf just happened...??"

But I am by no means an 'advanced' rider, so my skill is quite lacking in many respects.

To answer your question, go to the post about converting a Hardrock. It's farther down. That should answer lots of questions. Then go to the FAQs on the right and you'll get all you need.

Fixed gear is a setup where you can't coast. As long as your wheels spin, your feet spin.

hope this helps.
    Thank You, I did not see the FAQ section before.

I still want the coaster brake , I guess no one uses one. I used a coaster brake for the 1st 15 years of my life with out problems, so I can't inagine 20 years after that they would be a major problem. (and I want to be able to lay down a 20 ft skid mark on the road)

I assume the coaster brake will not work with a chain tensioner.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Thank You, I did not see the FAQ section before.

I still want the coaster brake , I guess no one uses one. I used a coaster brake for the 1st 15 years of my life with out problems, so I can't inagine 20 years after that they would be a major problem. (and I want to be able to lay down a 20 ft skid mark on the road)

I assume the coaster brake will not work with a chain tensioner.
    I would forget the coaster brake for several reasons.

1. You were probably not riding on trails, particularly technical ones, when you were a child. It requires a bit different equipment than you were using then.

2. When you are going down a hill and braking, 75% of your braking power comes from your front brake since that is where your momentum causes your weight to be applied. If you have a coaster brake it is going to be very difficult to stop considering your weight is forward.

3. Coaster brakes basically stop you by skidding. This is much more difficult to modulate than other brakes and skidding tears up the trails, causing ruts, digging up rocks, and just making a general mess of things. If some guy with coaster brakes started riding the trails I do and skidding around all over the place a lot of people would be rightfully pissed off.

4. Coaster brake hubs have a lot of internal friction and they don't roll or spin as well as regular hubs. You are going to have a harder time riding them then you would a set of good hubs that spin silky smooth.

For me, reasons 2 and 3 are the biggies and I would strongly advise you to give up the idea of using coaster brakes on the trails. At least, I hope you don't do it around here as we have good trail access and don't want to risk losing it because someone is riding around recklessly on coaster breaks and tearing up all of the trails with his skidding. around.