Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

A couple of chainring questions...

So I'm in the process of converting my geared Giant XTC into a single speed bike. I just purchased a Blackspire mono 32t chainring and have a few questions about installing it.
    #1: does it matter if i install it in front or behind the crank spider?
    #2: does the orientation of the ring matter? Can I flip it around?

The reasons for my questions is that none of my local bike stores carry shims or shorter chainring bolts and thus I have to mix and match some sort of solution.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    #1 check your chainline 1st. Rule of thumb with me is to install behind the crank spider.
    #2 not really. No matter what they've told you, if its ramped, the ramps won't do harm - so yes, you can flip it around. Like a record baby round round round round.

Or if you want to use your big chainring as a chainguard, do it. I'll take pictures later of my craft - grinded off all the teeth off a 52t chainring to use as a chainguard on the old Schwinn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the reply, I'll probably just run the 32t chainring for now, and if I enjoy single speed I'll grind up my outer ring for a chainguard. Btw, why the heck do bashguards cost more than chainrings?? Anyway, I'll post some pictures of the conversion once its done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0sty
    Thanks for the reply, I'll probably just run the 32t chainring for now, and if I enjoy single speed I'll grind up my outer ring for a chainguard. Btw, why the heck do bashguards cost more than chainrings?? Anyway, I'll post some pictures of the conversion once its done.
    Why? all marketing and moolah/production/etc.

I am about to do the same to an old Sugino crankset. I don't have the necessary bolts. Its a 44/34/22.
    I'll grind the teeth off the 44, keep the 34...and the 22? use it to defend myself from ninjas.

~Disc~Golf~
    speaking of grinding...
    if you're careful,
    you can grind down the receiver (female) bolts a bit to fit - worked for me anyways
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ ^ ^

yeah... really careful. If you do, put them in a plastic baggie full of water after you have ground them to the desired length and shake vigorously. Drain and rinse. Chase the threads with a clean bolt. Then bathe them in light oil, and wipe clean. Any metal dust or rough edges on the threads _will_ cause them to strip.

This works best on steel hardware, too, btw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    ^ ^ ^

yeah... really careful. If you do, put them in a plastic baggie full of water after you have ground them to the desired length and shake vigorously. Drain and rinse. Chase the threads with a clean bolt. Then bathe them in light oil, and wipe clean. Any metal dust or rough edges on the threads _will_ cause them to strip.

This works best on steel hardware, too, btw.
    That just sounds like a pain.
    Grinding off the teeth is more manly - you can do it in slow motion with a portable grinder. Laugh menacingly as you grind off the teeth - the neighbors will love it!

Seriously, a good grind job will be the teeth off the big ring - it not only attracts milfs to your house in the middle of the night, it will also look cool on your bike.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ...it not only attracts milfs to your house in the middle of the night,....
    excellent point

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ... it not only attracts milfs to your house in the middle of the night, it will also look cool on your bike.
    Well that settles it, I'll be grinding my ass off later.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^OUCH!!!
    how will you sit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    ^^^OUCH!!!
    how will you sit?
    I'll just have to live with the pain, anything for milfs and cool looks...

mtbr member
    I'll just have to live with the pain, anything for milfs and cool looks...
    when you grind it, don't forget to wear a d-bag visor backwards and the collar on your dress shirt up.

Hopefully I'll get you some pics here on the thread so you can see how its done.

As for milfs, please have some pizza ready. They find it manly to know that there's been metal that's been worked on with the smell of pizza in the background.

~Disc~Golf~
    i love how threads devolve
    in a good way

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well here it is ready to rock. Took it out for a quick spin this evening and it rides better than ever. Why did it take so long for me to get rid of all those pesky gears??

~Disc~Golf~
    Nice man

nothing to see here
    Just a tip...if you find that the male bolts are still much longer than the female nuts after filing them, you may have issues tightening them, as the bolt may extend through the whole nut. Filing the bolts is possible, but must be done with a nut already on the thread, so as to clean and deburr the thread on removal. The problem with this is that the nut (once threaded on in reverse prior to filing) may probably still be too long to allow enough of the bolt to be filed down. A solution is to find a spare nut (if possible) or sacrifice one of your good nuts for the greater good, and file that down an extra 2mm or so.

(or go and buy some ss chainring bolts)

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Just a tip...if you find that the male bolts are still much longer than the female nuts after filing them, you may have issues tightening them, as the bolt may extend through the whole nut. Filing the bolts is possible, but must be done with a nut already on the thread, so as to clean and deburr the thread on removal. The problem with this is that the nut (once threaded on in reverse prior to filing) may probably still be too long to allow enough of the bolt to be filed down. A solution is to find a spare nut (if possible) or sacrifice one of your good nuts for the greater good, and file that down an extra 2mm or so.

(or go and buy some ss chainring bolts)
    what's wrong with that? I had no probs...
    the bolt (male) doesn't need to be filed down - that's extra work
    is there something I'm missing?
    sorry if I'm missing it

nothing to see here
    what's wrong with that? I had no probs...
    the bolt (male) doesn't need to be filed down - that's extra work
    is there something I'm missing?
    sorry if I'm missing it
    I suppose it depends on the thickness of the chainring. When I did mine, my bolts were too long to be tightened correctly (but I did use the thin steel middle ring from my chainring set). They extended through the nut, not allowing me to hold the nut the correct way. It may apply to somone else who reads this thread though.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    ... When I did mine, my bolts were too long to be tightened correctly ....
    uggh!, sorry if I'm being dense.
    But what do the length of the bolts (male) have to do w/ anything?
    They pass right through the (presumably filed) receiver 'bolt' or nut (female) into thin air...

mtbr member
    I'll probably just run the 32t chainring for now, and if I enjoy single speed I'll grind up my outer ring for a chainguard. Btw, why the heck do bashguards cost more than chainrings??
    Here's some that don't - but why bother to use a bashguard on a singlespeed anyway? The chain does a pretty good jod of protecting the sprocket and all a bashguard seems to do is collect crap between it and the sprocket.
    And if you just use a 44T or 42T sprocket with the teeth machined off then it's far bigger than you need and you lose out on rock and log crossing clearance.

Anyway, all that grinding won't attract any milfs (not in my experience, at least...) - it'll just load up your grinding wheel with aluminium......

mtbr member
    Follow this link to the chainrng - the other chainring will get its due today...
    http://ernestolube.com/chainring/index.htm

~Disc~Golf~
    haha, Quiznos... damn you Ernie!
    now I'm hungry...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    uggh!, sorry if I'm being dense.
    But what do the length of the bolts (male) have to do w/ anything?
    They pass right through the (presumably filed) receiver 'bolt' or nut (female) into thin air...
    I'm guessing he's talking about this:

When the bolt goes through you cant put a screwdriver on there to tighten it. which is why I used shorter bolts.

~Disc~Golf~
    I'm guessing he's talking about this:
    I'm sorry, I never even thought about that.

In all my years workin w/ diff cranks, rings, I have NEVER had to use a driver or a tool to keep that 'bolt/nut' in place.
    It's ALWAYS just cinched down for me, and I could tighten the bolt up.

(sorry for the 'IN YOUR FACE' caps - I have nothing else )

Now, once I've said it... every bolt/nut will slip

nothing to see here
    spot on Frosty. It's probably because there is oil & crap on mine that they slip when I try to tighten them. I can get a pair of pliers to hold them, but it's a hack of a fix. I'm replacing the chainring soon and have already got some new bolts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast