Retro Grouch

Good job! Converting the world one bike at a time

Well my other friend Mike has a little dual suspension envy and is checking out the new double boingers. He also tells me he is thinking of converting his old hard tail to single speed. I tell him to save his money and convert first. He says that sounds like a good idea; you do it...

So here it is, a early 90's Kona, with some new bargin basement hoops, some Avid 7's to replace his old canti's, a new gold chainrings and a Gusset 1-ER; with a 32:18 (a good starter gear) there is no need for a tensioner!! We took it up to Nisene Marks the other day and he now has a new appreciation for SS. If you're looking at the fork it's one of the first Marzocchi Oil/Air shock circa 1992. (sorry about the photo quality; the good camera was being used elsewhere).

1G1G, Brad

PS, after hearing about this another friend Conner said he has an old Barracuda that needs the same treatment; Pictures to follow..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job!

now that's good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I tell him to save his money and convert first.
    how many of us had a hardtail, bought a dually, rode that, then converted the ol' hardtail to SS, because hey, it was just sitting there, why not do something with it, and now have sworn off duallies for singlespeeds?

this guy really needs to thank you for saving him thouSSands on a bike he'd probably only ride for a year, max, before succumbing to the dark SSide...
    [size=1][/size]

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    how many of us had a hardtail, bought a dually, rode that, then converted the ol' hardtail to SS, because hey, it was just sitting there, why not do something with it, and now have sworn off duallies for singlespeeds?

this guy really needs to thank you for saving him thouSSands on a bike he'd probably only ride for a year, max, before succumbing to the dark SSide...
    Yea... right... less expenSSive...

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Well my other friend Mike has a little dual suspension envy and is checking out the new double boingers. He also tells me he is thinking of converting his old hard tail to single speed. I tell him to save his money and convert first. He says that sounds like a good idea; you do it...

So here it is, a early 90's Kona, with some new bargin basement hoops, some Avid 7's to replace his old canti's, a new gold chainrings and a Gusset 1-ER; with a 32:18 (a good starter gear) there is no need for a tensioner!! We took it up to Nisene Marks the other day and he now has a new appreciation for SS. If you're looking at the fork it's one of the first Marzocchi Oil/Air shock circa 1992. (sorry about the photo quality; the good camera was being used elsewhere).

1G1G, Brad

PS, after hearing about this another friend Conner said he has an old Barracuda that needs the same treatment; Pictures to follow..

Looks sweet. I used to have that exact same fork! I believe they called it the XC-51. It was really nice for the time, felt like it had more travel than it really did. Came stock on my first "real" mtb.