mtbr member
    Jan 2008

converting Trek Superfly SS to a geared bike

Love my Trek Superfly SS 2012, but I have had it with the shifting dropouts. Have tried several fixes, new hardware and even with everything shifted as far forward into the drops as possible, the chain still looses significant tension. In today's race, the chain nearly came off. I love this bike, but this is too much. Every single ride starts awesome and then in about 20 minutes the drops slips and all most of the chain tension is gone.

A few races back, I saw Trek SS converted to a 1x. After today, I am thinking maybe this is a way to salvage the frame. Just wondering if anyone knows of a kit to do this?

Thanks,

Michael

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Have them warranty it. I had the same frame and after the third one got sent back they finally gave me a geared frame since they discontinued that terrible bike!! Let me take that back, the bike rode great the dropouts....not so much

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was having the same issues last spring. The fix was to replace the hardware (4 bolts / nuts / washers) with stainless. I then torked them (using a tork wrench here) to 13 ft-lbs. When complete I would tighten the limit screws 1/4 turn into the sliders (w/ a pliers). This eliminated the issues of slipping. I rode this bike nearly every day last summer, and raced it quite a bit, which meant weekly cog changes and adjustments. If I followed the steps above I had no issues, if not it'd slip... Of all the carbon SS bikes out there, this is a solid frame thats on the lighter side for SS Carbon frames. IMO for carbon the only thing that rivals it would be the Pivot LES.

Oh, one other thing, get the largest Stainless Washers you can fit (side x side) the added surface area will help.

mtbr member
    there have been several threads about this issue in the Trek sub-forum. I would check those out because it is possible to get that system to stop slipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have done all of what you suggest save for the large washers. It still slips every single time. I even used a prototype fix provided by Trek. Honest to god, I and the army that has wrenched this bike specifically for this purpose find it hard to believe that anyone got it to stop slipping. I am glad for you, though, because the bike is just absolutely awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, but I am just looking for whether or not a kit exists to convert this to a geared bike. i will look at those threads for that information. I will also continue to look for fixes, but I am amazed that anyone got this to stop slipping. I and my LBS have tried most of what people suggest to no avail. Ultimately, it comes down to a frustration tolerance of which I have run out. I am happy for anyone who found a simple fix. I have tried numerous things and it has not been so simple.

mtbr member
    your LBS should be able to get a new dropout from Trek that has a derailleur hanger on it.

if you put gears on it, the dropout will still slip out of position and cause problems with wheel alignment and shifting though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    crap, I guess so. Well, I am trying to find those threads in the Trek sub-forum. No luck yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

SuperFly Drop out fix.

converting Trek Superfly SS to a geared bike-img_1275.jpgconverting Trek Superfly SS to a geared bike-img_1273.jpg

Excuse the dirty bike.,...was out club racing last night tormenting geared riders.

meh... whatever
    send it to calfee. they'll remove the sliding drops and add geared ones. they do great work and warranty it as well.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    So - the problem seems to be not that the drive side is moving forward under load (how could it, with the adjusting screw tightened against it?) but that the wheel axle on the NDS is moving down in the dropout under braking ?
    This is why some manufacturers position the caliper between the chain and seat stays.