SSolo
    Apr 2008

Converting my Specialized Rockhopper Disk to SS!

Converting my 08 Specialized Rockhopper Disk to SS! I'm excited to try SS, wish I had two 29ers so that I could use one of them instead, but want to keep at least one geared 29er for the moment. Since SS requires more strength, I might have to try clipless soon too so I can get the upstroke power too. Tried on some shoes and looked at Crank Bros Candy SL and Smarty pedals today at LBS. Candy's feel alot more quality. Bought all the parts that I need for SS....here's pic before I start:

EDIT: Parts I bought are Surly 17t cog (p/n: FW2075), Rockwerks red anodized and splined spacer kit for cog (p/n: 38901), Pyramid SS chain guide (p/n: 25927), SunLite short chainring bolt set (p/n: 22145), and SunRace flanged/serrated retainer nut for cassette with a 12t small cog (p/n: ?). Going to re-use my stock 32t front chain ring for now....the LBS was out of stock on SS chain rings.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 02-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Any updates?

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    Any updates?
    Well, really wishin it was a 29er so I bought all the parts and have been sitting on them.....after thinking about how my 29er rides, and talking with others about SS and the need to carry momentum. The heavy 26x2.35 Kenda Nevegals that I have on it are great in nasty rooty, rocky terrain but don't roll well at all either. Gave away (oops) the stock Fast Traks that roll really well but are kinda low volume tires for nasty terrain. Kinda thinkin I should sell this bike and look for another good used 29er to SS.

I like the vertical rear drop-outs for their strength and ease of rear wheel alignment when fixing trail flats. EBB doesn't excite me either due to the moving of the pedal location in relation to the seat, adjustment sweet spots due to the locking setscrews, possible creaking and more complicated parts.....

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Parts pics:

DIdn't buy chainring yet and my chain is pretty new so hope it won't skip.

Opinions on my options 26, 29er, etc. please.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 02-17-2009 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a 26" and love it....

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    I have a 26" and love it....
    Do you have a 29er too or have you ridden one? How would you compare the two? I really like my 29er so kinda hesitating on this conversion.....would be nice to sell mine and find good deal on 29er SS or geared for conversion.