mtbr member

Converting 3 Ring Crank to SS?

Can this be done by just removing the big and little ring leaving the 32T middle ring? Do I need shorter chainring bolts or any type of spacers? I think the crank is an older model Shimano M440.

I bought this bike in 2002. It's a Trek 6500. Sold it to my buddy in 2006 to get a FS and now have been given the bike back for a steal so I'm converting it to SS. Got the conversion kit and chain tensioner. Be using and 8 speed chain. That's all I need right?
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yes, yes, and yes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You will need to purchase short stack bolts from you LBS. These bolts are for the (single) chain ring you decide to keep. If you use the middle chain ring, I would move it to the inside of where the large chain ring was.

You could also purchase a single speed specific chain ring for this (about $40).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You won't need the single chain bolts if you're going to use a bashguard... or you can take a hacksaw to the bolts to shorten them.. google it.