mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Converting 29er to SS,need a few answers please!

Hi all,

I am converting my 29er with an eccentric BB to a SS. My concerns are the following and any help is appreciated.

1. I have 2 cranks that I would like to use.
    (A) Shimano XT 175
    (B) Truvative Stylo 175
    These are cranks I have and I am leaning towards the XTs. Can I use the 32 ring or do I need to get a single speed specific ring?

2. What freewheel do you recommend?(brand) I am clyde. Iam going with 32-20 to start. We have alot of hills.
    3. What chain?

4. What should the correct tension be? A little slack? Tight?

thanks all.

L09erdr
    You can use a 32T ring with pins/ramps if youd like although a SS specific ring or DH ring would be a tad better. Less likely to throw the chain and a little stronger if you go with a 1/8 size tooth and chain over the usual 3/32. You being a Clyde Bigger/thicker drivetrain componets are going to be cheap insurance/may last longer.

EBB and clydes dont go real well together I hear but maybe this doesnt concern you?

Freewheel? Depending on your hub you have must not have a freehub but a flip flop hub? Whites ENO freewheels are top quality if you have the $$ in a 20T but if you want to get a decent 20T freewheel on the cheaper side yet still strong ACS makes a decent cromoly one with 4 pawl engaugement. Im sure theres a few others out there that may also work well.

Chain? something tough.. possibly stretch proof and 1/8 not a 8/9 speed 3/32. Although if you run a ramped front chainring it may be necessary to run a multi speed chain instead of a single speed chain. Single speed and 1/8 sized chains will be stronger though.

Chain Tension when measuring from the top of the chain stay and you wiggle your chain from above the chainstay you should be no less than 1/4 inch of play and no more than 1/2 inch according to Correction not Sheldon Browns webpage but Park Tool uses this method http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=27 Not too tight not too loose in a nutshell. Sheldon has a great write up about single speeds and fixed bikes and lots of info about the SS drivetrain on his website as well though. Tired of changing/worrying what gear to be in all the time? lol
    Last edited by L09erdr; 10-04-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    more than likely you have a freehub body and not a threaded hub for freewheels. This means you'll probably need a splined cog instead, along with a spacer kit. Also, i'd pick up a singlespeed/1x9 specific chainring as well. The last thing you need is to throw your chain under power, especially for a bigger guy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks all!
    I am going to go with a SS specific wheelset/rear wheel.

Any big difference running my XT cranks with a 32t and a SS specific crank besides changing out the 32 ring to a SS ring??

Thanks all!!!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodajammies
    Thanks all!
    I am going to go with a SS specific wheelset/rear wheel.

Any big difference running my XT cranks with a 32t and a SS specific crank besides changing out the 32 ring to a SS ring??

Thanks all!!!
    honestly i wouldnt change out your wheels for a SS specific set unless yours are crap. There's no real world benefit to a SS specific hub, IMHO.

As for the crank, no difference whatsoever besides the chainring. You'll most likely need shorter chainring bolts if you're not going to use a bash ring.

mtbr member
    Also if you ever want to sell a wheel set, you have to find another SSer. Get a geared rear hub and use spacers.

L09erdr
    Agreed with the above posters. Plus removing your rear geared cassette and putting on a couple spacers and a SS 20T cog is much easier than changing a freewheel if lets say you want to go to a 18T or 22T in the future.

A SS specific hub/wheelset can be dishless though which is an overall stronger wheel if thats the reason behind going to a SS specific setup over sticking with your stock set?