mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Convert Trek 850 vs Gravity G29

I'm looking to try out a singlespeed bike. I currently have a Salsa Spearfish as my regular mtb. I'm looking for something that I can ride around town as well as ride in the trails.

I can buy a Trek 850 and convert it to a singlespeed or they are supposed to be getting in some more gravity g29 bikes at BD.

Do you think I should just convert the Trek or pay a little more for the Gravity? The thing I like most about the Gravity is the disc brakes and I've also liked my 29er but would be fine with a 26.

I'm open to other suggestions as well but my max budget is $350 since I just bought the Spearfish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Depends. How old is the trek? Does it have horizontal or vertical dropouts?

oe old treks have true temper frames....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Depends. How old is the trek? Does it have horizontal or vertical dropouts?

oe old treks have true temper frames....
    I believe it is a 95 based on the color. Not sure on the dropouts, it was hard to tell from the picture.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If it's 95 it probably has vertical drop outs. To convert that bike you'll need to calculate the magic gear using this "FixMeUp!" application: http://eehouse.org/fixin/fmu1_1_big.php

You'll need to know the chainstay length and what cog/ring sizes you're interested in.

This would be a cheap conversion, but the G29 will be much less hassle. So again, it depends...