mtbr member

Convert Quick Release to Bolt On?

The free hub on my Monocog 29er took a big dump the other day and I was not able to figure out how to rebuild it (if even possible and/or worth the time). Anyway, I just picked up a used Bontrager Race wheelset at a pretty good price to replace the stockers.

Problem is that I still want to run a bolt on hub on the sliders as I just don't trust the QRs on the horizontal drop outs. I did some searching but wasn't able to find any good info on converting a standard cassette style hub with QRs to a bolt on axle. I know I'll have to run spacers on the cassette body, so no worries there. Just need to get the axle figured out.

Oh, and if I wanted to spend a bunch of money, I would have just bought a nice SS hub and called it a day.

EDIT: Also added in the 29er forum here: Convert Quick Release to Bolt On?
    Last edited by swaldrop; 08-04-2009 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    You could try something like this http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/148...Skewer-Set.htm
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    Possibly, though I am not sure that would do much more than a standard QR. The problem being that whatever I use, it needs to be long enough to go through the frame AND the chain tugs.

Thanks for the link though. I will take keep it in mind as an option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaldrop
    Possibly, though I am not sure that would do much more than a standard QR. The problem being that whatever I use, it needs to be long enough to go through the frame AND the chain tugs.

Thanks for the link though. I will take keep it in mind as an option.
    These are the best option for replacing a QR skewer. I have been using the standard length version for the last 6 months on my Inbred with horizontal drops combined with a Surly Tuggnut on the drive side. The XL version would give you even more length to keep using dual chain tugs. They have been solid and have not ever slipped. You can tighten them really frickin hard with a wrench

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    These are the best option for replacing a QR skewer. I have been using the standard length version for the last 6 months on my Inbred with horizontal drops combined with a Surly Tuggnut on the drive side. The XL version would give you even more length to keep using dual chain tugs. They have been solid and have not ever slipped. You can tighten them really frickin hard with a wrench
    Sweet man! That looks like it will work. Hopefully the LBS has one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaldrop
    Sweet man! That looks like it will work. Hopefully the LBS has one.
    FYI, I got mine here because my LBS didn't order very often from BTI (one large supplier) and QBP (other large supplier) doesn't carry that brand

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That is one of the coolest things ever. It's the really simple ideas to solve common problems that turn out to be the best ones... I'm going to have to get some of these. I see they are available at numerous online retailers, so no need to special order.

mtbr member
    Well, turns out that the Bontrager QR skewer is long enough to pass through the frame and the stock chain tugs. I supposed I should have given it a shot before I got all bent out of shape.

Rode the bike and it worked flawlessly. I'll keep those bolt on skewers in mind though.

Thanks for the help.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    These are the best option for replacing a QR skewer.
    This is correct.

For people running Hopes, you have a ton of options including Halo XL QR's above (which are GREAT!), the Hope 10mm bolts, DT RWS 10mm thru-bolt, the Hadley 10mm thru bolt. The Halo QR's are cheapest, as the rear conversion kit from Hope is like $40 direct, less through CRC and such.