mtbr member

Convert old XTR 4 bolt crank to single speed or buy new?

Single speed project. Waiting on new rear wheel, may go with eno hub or with chain tensioner . (Depends on what I win on ebay) My bike is all old XTR. Should I stick with the crank and take off two rings (do I need spacers?) or go with new to me SS crank? I like the crank I have and I like the BB.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

Known Mountainbiker
    a SS specific chainring and four new chainring bolts (small) on a pair of XTR cranks you like seems like the way to go and a lot cheaper. I ran an FSA CR on XT cranks for a couple years before upgrading (eventhough I didn't have too).

You already knew the answer to your question, didn't you?

As for the chain tensioner; it's good for entry level but eventually it's going to be as troublesome as a rear der. Good luck on winning the Eno.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member

Need Some advice on chainring and cogs

Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    a SS specific chainring and four new chainring bolts (small) on a pair of XTR cranks you like seems like the way to go and a lot cheaper. I ran an FSA CR on XT cranks for a couple years before upgrading (eventhough I didn't have too).
    [COLOR="Red"]
    You already knew the answer to your question, didn't you
    ? [/COLOR]

As for the chain tensioner; it's good for entry level but eventually it's going to be as troublesome as a rear der. Good luck on winning the Eno.

Caz
    a SS specific chainring and four new chainring bolts (small) on a pair of XTR cranks you like seems like the way to go and a lot cheaper
    Some anecdotal data seems to tell me the most common trail gear I use is 34 x 24 or 34 x 28. Would that compare to 32 x ?

You already knew the answer to your question, didn't you

I didn't really know. I'm thinking of keeping the crank as is for a later project. I'm not sure how much trouble the switch is. I like the old Race Face Turbine cranks but I don't want to just throw on some cheap part.

Good luck on winning the Eno.
    I have had NO luck finding an eno hub wheel on ebay. That's what I want but A) I need a rim brake wheel and B) I don't want to spend the cash to build one if I turn out not liking this.

Thanks for the info.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I'd stick with your XTR crank and maybe change the chainring to something non-ramped. You might need spacers to fine tune the chainline if you use a freewheel, but if you use a wheel with a freehub, you should be able adjust the chainline with spacers on the freehub.

mtbr member

I like the look of the White uno or duo freewheel cogs.

They seem to offer some flexibility. Thing is, I think I want an 18/20 and the one they have is 16/18 or 17/19.