mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Conditioning for SS

Is there any exercises or drills for SS riding? I felt my knees and lower abdomen trying to separate. We don't want any injuries riding SS. First thing I know is Listen to your body that's the reason I didn't ride for a week. I'm getting very sad.

Ahhh the pain....
    Really the best conditioning is to just do it...however, it sounds like you're trying to mash a big gear. I've been riding only SS for the last 3 years and my body has never felt more pain free. I did start out though riding a 32x21 (29r), then moved to 32x20, then to 32x19. I spent about 8-10 months on each before going to the next hardest.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Put a bigger cog on the rear wheel and keep riding. Adjust gearing as fitness improves.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by j69nx View Post
    Is there any exercises or drills for SS riding? I felt my knees and lower abdomen trying to separate. We don't want any injuries riding SS. First thing I know is Listen to your body that's the reason I didn't ride for a week. I'm getting very sad.

Core work:

The Best Mountain Bike Leg & Core Exercise You've Never Seen

The best way to condition for SS is to ride more SS.

I'm your density
    These hurt so good (the exercises, not the guy's shorts):

Core Work

+1 on not pushing too big a gear right off the bat.

I'm not much of a gym person, but I'll work out on a stair climber if the weather's bad. Otherwise, when I'm not biking I like to hike steep trails with a backpack, varying my stride.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Put a bigger cog on the rear wheel and keep riding. Adjust gearing as fitness improves.
    This. This season I started out on 32x18 and ended at 34x18. It takes some time to develop the mashing muscles you use when riding SS. But don't push it past the point where it hinders you. Knees are delicate.

mtbr member
    I had it 32x20 coasting a lot then switched to 32x18. And got carried away. Probably just to ride it more and change my riding style a little bit.

mtbr member
    I use a trainer with 15-20 minute standing sessions. Because SS uses different muscles while climbing due to the mashing, this has helped me condition for long sustained climbs. With the trainer, i'm not beating up my joints since i can control the resistance.

mtbr member
    Looks like I need more modified squats to do and maintain my core.

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    Upper body and core strengthening will help alot. The great thing about SS is that it's a full body workout, IMO. Time on a rowing machine, or other weight machine exercises that simulate rowing, will help you with climbing. I find that SS makes me stronger for kayaking, so the inverse is also true...
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I use a trainer with 15-20 minute standing sessions. Because SS uses different muscles while climbing due to the mashing, this has helped me condition for long sustained climbs. With the trainer, i'm not beating up my joints since i can control the resistance.
    +1....or longer depending on your longest climbs.

Mulleticious
    When I started SS I had back ache, on each side of the spine in the small of my back. Turned out this was muscular due to these muscles not being used as hard before.

Dropped down from a 16T to a 17T cog on the back, and kept at it, but not pushing too hard.

Keep doing it regularly.

I am now so much stronger from SS - back on the 16T now (minimal climbs locally).

Don't give up - it will make you a better, stronger rider. You will be able to think more clearly. I'll always choose my SS bike over any other, as long as the terrain is suited to it. (It's rigid)

I ride a Swarf
    Good timing with this thread . I have been mountain bike single speeding since thursday . I used to have a single speed road bike a few years ago before breakng my leg. I sold the road bike due to fear of my knee not holding up....I also fell out of the habit of riding and really struggled to get back into it due to the same fear of either wearing my knee out or falling off and hurting it more. This year I got my bike passion back on MTB and road, both geared. But deciced...sod it...I want to try single speed on my mountain bike....so far loving it...but I do ache . Using muscles I forgot I had since my road single speed days .

My plan is to fit a slightly easier gear and to get out and hammer ...those muscles can get their act in gear and man up
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Keep riding. Lot's of core training helps. Weighted planks are good. When you are in the plank position someone place a 45# plate or a cinder block on your back. Hold it for as long as you can, flick it off then plank with no weight until you drop. Rest, weep, repeat. Also while on my SS I try to stand and pedal with one hand off the bars, switching hands every 20
    rev's or so, it' a good core blast. Have Fun

Dirty South Underdog
    Yoga. Lots of yoga.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I'm fairly noobish to SS and after my first few rides my arms, back, and core felt like i had been doing a weighted pull up marathon. This went away after a few rides, but i do get sore on occassions. Nothing like at first though.

Ive stuck with an easy gear (32x20) and now i'm spinning up climbs I once before had to stand and mash on. I'm going to drop a tooth and repeat.
    Long endurance/base type rides on mellow trails have helped me tremendously too.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    You guys have been very helpful. Thanks for all your input. Riding on a 20 degree temp makes me complain about everything.

mtbr member
    You could do some other exercises outside of biking. Yoga, like someone mentioned, is excellent for just about everything. Your muscles can get more flexible, your joints can be more stable, and core can be strengthened.

I'm a gym rat, so I haven't had much difficulty riding ss. I squat (15-20 reps, 1 set, 3 times a week) throughout the year, and I've been doing martial arts for over 20 years along with lots of conditioning that comes with it.

The only training I started doing regularly, since I started riding ss, was interval training (Tabata Protocol, 20sec all out, 10 sec rest, 8 sets).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I went to Walmart and purchased a 40 lbs weighted vest. After riding some trails, I really felt it in my body. Basically every muscle was worked (especially my core) I was sore for a couple days from my chin to the balls of my feet.

The vest was excellent at simulating grueling race conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The same as anything: HTFU!

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    My 2 cents: (hopefully more), deadlifting, power cleans and box jumps -not plyometric- to develop strength and power.
    Pilates for the core, and the core is more than abs, certainly more.
    A bit, actually, a lot, to learn from track cycling, specially the start from stand still, where big power is applied in almost a vertical body position-useful on slippery steeps-
    Above all, SS riding.
    Be well
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    i'm thinking about doing Insanity again but it focus for the whole body. Modify it with everyones comments.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    This. This season I started out on 32x18 and ended at 34x18. It takes some time to develop the mashing muscles you use when riding SS. But don't push it past the point where it hinders you. Knees are delicate.
    Nice... Early last year I started with 32x20 on a 29er SS and worked my way down so that on the less climb intensive trails and work commutes I'm running 34x16. For more demanding climbs I add a chain link go back to 19 or 20. Sometimes I have more mojo than others but generally not walking much of anything and no knee pain so far