Combat Wombat

Cog change requires how much adjustment?

I have been running a 34/19 setup on my Jabber since I built it two and a half years ago. Things are changing around the home to where I can possibly start looking at having the time to regularly ride trails a little farther from home. Some of my favorates have considerably bigger hills than what I typically ride, so I have been thinking about swapping out the 19t for a 20t cog, maybe even 21t. Just wondering, since I have never messed with changing gears, about how much adjustment of the rear axle am I looking at when changing 1t? While re-adjusting chain tension is no big deal, does this also typically require messing with the brake caliper?
    Last edited by BrianU; 01-22-2011 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Maybe a little depending on the mount. Still, no big deal. YOU CAN DO EEET!!!
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerfred
    Maybe a little depending on the mount. Still, no big deal. YOU CAN DO EEET!!!
    This is one of those things I am going to do. While running around town today with the wife and kids, and she was explaining her master plan of how I am going to convert a room in our barn into a paint studio and the kids were dying from starvation in the backseat, was just something I was pondering while in my happy place.

Apr 2007
    I switch from 20-22T (more often between 20 and 21) on my Jabber. I have the wheel sitting about 3/4 way back with the 20t. This gives me enough chain for when I switch to 21t. For 22, I usually have to add in a link or two. Also have to adjust the brakes for the 22, but not for the 20->21 switch. But brake adjustment is literally a 2 min job anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    Just wondering, since I have never messed with changing gears, about how much adjustment of the rear axle am I looking at when changing 1t?
    +1 tooth = rear axle 1/8 of an inch(3mm) to the front.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    This is one of those things I am going to do. While running around town today with the wife and kids, and she was explaining her master plan of how I am going to convert a room in our barn into a paint studio and the kids were dying from starvation in the backseat, was just something I was pondering while in my happy place.
    I thought I was the only one who did that!

Going one tooth either way from my original hasn't required a brake adjustment, just moving the pads on my bb7s a little.

Combat Wombat
    Thanks! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I never touch the brake when changing the gearing. I found that if the caliper is angled in such a way, and you use wavy rotors, you can get the wheel on and off using an assortment of gears without dicking with the brakes. I ran it like that for about 5 years and never had a problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0