mtbr member
    Nov 2012

cock pit set up question

I've been riding in the ice/mud/snow which has been great because a normal Wisconsin winter would have not allowed this much riding unless I owned a fat bike.

Due to the slicker conditions...the need to get out of the saddle an mash the peddles on climbs causes more spin out than normal.

Would I be better off to shorten my stem a bunch and also change my seat post to a set back style? This should maintain the same reach to the handle bars but put more weight in the rear tire when climbing.

I am riding an XL Sawyer 100% rigid. I believe the current stem is a 110mm.

Let me know your ideas on this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This is exactly what I am doing (inbetween builds right now) with that same sence of lodgic you explained above. I have not ridden the new setup yet though, hopefully someone more experianced can comment...

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Akita man View Post
    Would I be better off to shorten my stem a bunch and also change my seat post to a set back style? This should maintain the same reach to the handle bars but put more weight in the rear tire when climbing.
    That might work just dandy but don't overlook the fact that you'll be altering another aspect of bike fit -- effective seat tube angle. Lots of guys like to be behind the BB and therefore run layback posts. I'm not one of them but then I run 195mm cranks so I have to have a steep effective seat tube angle in order to achieve KOPS.

Bottom line: if what you're proposing doesn't fold you in half more than you like, you're golden. It's personal preference.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Very good, point, and I thought of that by ordering my shorter stem with a 10 degree rise in it.... Can't wait to try it out..