mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Clyde needs psi do i need to run tubeless

I am 230lbs., runnung a 2.35 in the front and 2.1 rear ; single speed 29er , what psi do you recomend to run. there are quite a few rocks and roots where i ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It all depends on the tires. The thicker the side wall the less air you will need. I am 200 lbs and run 17 psi in my downhill tires and 40 psi in my xc tires. Also depends on your riding style and terrain. I would say start out on 40 psi and see how it feels. If it feels really stiff or loose drop some air out of them during the ride and see how it feels. I actually run different psi in the same tires depending on where I am riding too.

Forgot to add I am running stans tubless. I switched to tubeless becuase I was getting alot of pinch flats with light weight tires. Solved that problem. But when I was running heavier tires I didn't have problems with pinch flats.

Former Bike Wrench
    Tubeless and Tubeless ready tires have worked well for me down at 28 psi, some converted tires with ghetto tubeless rim conversions have had to be run as high as 40 psi to prevent burping.

I've weighed as much as 235lbs though I'm 210lbs nowadays.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm 215, and I run 22psi up front and 25psi in back, tubed or tubeless.

I ride stiffy's in 26" and 29'er, so I just pick good lines to not pinch flat on my wheels with tubes, or just bunnyhop stuff.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I'm at 210 on the bathroom scale and I typically run 25 in front and 28 in the rear. I also ride a stiffy, and can't remember the last rim strike and have never burped (well, no tires that is)

I think Stan's website actually has a formula for a suggested pressure. Something like divide the total weight of you and the bike by 7.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah yo. I'm in the ballpark of your weight. If I lower the psi much more, the front tire (and rear) with roll a bit on hard corning. Pinch flat city. Problem is, if I switch to tubeless, I'll still have to run the same psi as I have with my tubes because the tires will roll every time I'm starting to hit corners hard. Not conducive to exciting, safe cycling...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Similar weight and tires size, but my (current) main trail has palmetto roots and a lot of sand, so I try to run as low as I can, without too many rim strikes, typically 15-18 front / 26-30 rear.
    A lot depends on how you ride as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I'm 215, and I run 22psi up front and 25psi in back, tubed or tubeless.

I ride stiffy's in 26" and 29'er, so I just pick good lines to not pinch flat on my wheels with tubes, or just bunnyhop stuff.

Love the term "stiffy!"