SS XC Junkie

Clip In Pedals Improve my SS Sprint Speed

A couple of weeks ago I switched to clip in pedals. I've never been comfortable with them but after catching a pedal in the shin I decided it was time to give clips another try. It's been a fairly easy transition though I still sometimes lose confidence in some of the technical areas. All in all, I'm committed to clip ins.

Today we were goofing off on the fire trail trying to earn some bragging rights. I actually won the 200yd dash today. 23mph w/ 32x19 gearing and 29" 2.55 tires.

My prior highest speed was 17mph and that was on the street. The clip in pedals are really starting to help me spin the cranks around. It's hard to drop my heels on backstroke but it's slowly becoming more natural. The best part, I can spin a high cadence without worrying about my feet flying off the pedals.

Now if I could just get the climbing down!

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Are these clipless pedals or toe clips & straps you're talking about?

In either case, I love them because I can apply power in all directions in the cycle; instead of just forward and down, and a little bit of back as with platforms. I can live them since I don't have a need to dab and will never intentional perform a Superman.
    Last edited by jonowee; 03-21-2009 at 09:20 PM.

SS XC Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    Are these clipless pedals or toe clips & straps you're talking about?
    I always get the name wrong. These are "clipless" - Time Atac XS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Seems like a lot of people reluctantly switche after slamming their shin one too many times. They kill going over rock gardens, roots etc as well.

local trails rider
    I am not in the habit of timing my "sprints" but clipless pedals definitely make my singlespeeding easier in places where I need power: some uphills and wrestling with rocks and roots.

ATAC XS is good, I think my ROC ATAC is even better.

mtbr member
    From what I understand, they are often known as 'clip-ins' in Europe, so you weren't really wrong...

And yes, clipless/clip-ins rule.

SS XC Junkie
    I was never in the habit of timing anything either. But my brother and our riding friends have cycle computers. Decided to try one (Polor Cad200) and it's a pretty cool "gadget". The main thing was to keep track of my heart rate. In the beginning of my SS adventure, at times it would feel like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. After I got the computer I found out why - 180-190 bpm. I've been using the computer like a tachometer in that I can get good idea of what my heart rate is doing by how hard I'm breathing and/or how fast I am going. The cadence sensor didn't work very well so it came off the bike. I've got a pretty good idea of what's going on now but I kinda like having the thing on my bike. I don't look down at it to much on the trails though. Doing so is a receipt for disaster. When I look down at the computer on the trails I inevitably look up to see that I'm either going off course, lost my balance, or there is an object in my path coming fast.

As for the pedals, I'm liking them so much I'm thinking about adjusting them up to the next setting. It seems there is some slop/play in them when I'm pushing the pedals hard. Want to see if the adjustments will take a little of that play out of them.

local trails rider
    I know that many find bike computers useful. I have made a conscious choice not to get one for myself. Part of keeping the riding "non-serious", I guess. My work phone has GPS, though, and I've been switching it on for some rides, to show others where I've been.

(No, I don't speak on the phone while riding, and I rarely get calls during a ride either.)