mtbr member

Cleat positioning for SSing - your thoughts

I'm thinking of cleat position on the shoe for SS riding.

I switched to clipless less than a year ago and have been riding with cleats in central position. I'm riding 2011 XTR pedals and like them. Didn't experience any discomfort.
    I think the far forward the cleat is the more work the calfs have.

What cleat position do you find optimal for SS? What factors do you find important in determin cleat position?

Any thoughts are welcomed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Initially I set mine up in the center, since then I've moved then all the way back. Feels more comfortable and I believe I have more power when I'm standing. I've actually tried riding on my heels with flat pedals and been really powerful, but lose a lot bike manipulation.

mtbr member
    Personal preference for many. I have my cleats all the way up front. I feel I get more out of the pedal stroke.

I also like looking at myself wearing my shoes in the mirror. My shoes are cool like that.

mtbr member
    You have them on the wrong feet, Ernesto.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74 View Post
    You have them on the wrong feet, Ernesto.
    My feet are opposite. Freaks out the milfs at the beach and makes men puke. Right on left ankle. Left on right.

mtbr member
    OK, that explains a lot. Those aren't single speed socks, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74 View Post
    OK, that explains a lot. Those aren't single speed socks, though.
    Some times, my socks get mixed up at the laundromat.

Nice blog by the way.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Mine are all the way back. Always have been always will be.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mine are on the bottom of my shoe... they work pretty good that way...
    Gears give me headaches

AZ
    banned
    All the way back for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My cleats are all the way back on the SS after trying a few positions over a few years. For me whether its real or imagined it feels like I have more power on the upstroke which I like. With a lot of standing, it just feels better. I also have friends that are the complete opposite.

There is a ton of data out there to search on. Like everything some good data, some witch doctor crap. Stuff about "heel drop", how much, how little comes into play, etc.. I found riding the same trails with making slight adjustments was easier than a crash course on MTP joints, gastrocs and soleus muscles, etc..

mtbr member
    Clipless noob here but I like mine farther back, not for power output but for balancing. Cleats too far forward felt like I was riding on my toes and made climbing out of the saddle and descending feel weird.

Not to mention I feel I use more of my legs with the cleats more central and farther back. The beauty of it is that it takes just a few seconds to slide your cleats around and then you can see if you like it!

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Cleats too far forward felt like I was riding on my toes and made climbing out of the saddle and descending feel weird.
    I've ridden that way for four years. I would feel my calves working too much and crampy. Then I've moved the cleats all the way back a year ago. I think it's better this way.

The beauty of it is that it takes just a few seconds to slide your cleats around and then you can see if you like it!
    You say that because you are new to cleats! Try removing the screws after say a few months and then try using another position after that huge dent under the shoe. (I use Time pedals; maybe other cleats are easier to remove.)

Ali

Members who have read this thread: 0