mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Chub hubs and Fifteen G

Any advice or input about the Chub hubs and fifteen G cranks? Been thinking about using these items for my new build or the 29er American classic wheel set.

Dorkimus Prime
    Well I certainly understand your attraction to the aforementioned Hive products. Both look great, however, as to performance I can't say much. I think ~Martini~ on here was using the cranks try searching for him. If that is the correct name he has a bike store and nice website that is linked at the bottom of all his posts.

mtbr member
    Martini and another have posted about their 15G cranks, and Larry from Ventanarama has commented on them. I haven't seen much about the Chubs, other than bling shots and thier website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The cranks look to be a solid product. The Chub hubs are a good way to go if you want to stick with freewheels. They are probably the lightest freewheel hubset to go with. I was thinking of getting them for a while, but I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the DT Swiss 240.

Wandering not Lost
    I have quite a bit of time on both products. I recieved a pre-production set of the cranks and hubs.

Cranks lock step rock soild, beautiful subtle lines, and stiff as hell. Only complaint thus far is you have to take the cranks off to show off that bad-ass green spindle.

Hubs..laced up to stan's flows... thus far like the cranks rock solid. Light is the key word.

Great products from a solid group of guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How quick is the engagement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cndoane
    How quick is the engagement?
    they are freewheel so it depends on what freewheel you use...however I didn't know why anyone would use something other than a White Ind freewheel
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think the new WI freewheel is 36 POE.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

Neg reppers r my biatches
    i would get both in a heartbeat if building up a new SS - would be my first choice

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    I think the new WI freewheel is 36 POE.
    Yes, and they also have a 72 POE freewheel. It is the "trials" version, and 18t only.

As a point, it's expensive because you're buying two, but you can put the trials internals into any size WI freewheel (except 16t), and have 72 POE.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I9

Should I save a few more pennies and stick to I9's 29er SS wheel set or are they just over rated? If not I9's I may just buy American Classics the only downfall is that I weigh 190lbs and ride rocky creek beds, plus these would be my only set of wheels.

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    I run I9's and FLOWS and they are killer wheels, I weigh about the same and ride similar terrain. As an added bonus you can convert the I9's to fit any of the configurations, 9mm, 10mm, 15mm, and 20mm axles