mtbr member

The Christmas Conversion...

I'm going use my holidays over Christmas to convert my HT MTB to a SS!

I've been reading this forum religiously for about a month, and I've finally set up a plan...but I'd love to be able to get your feedback on what I need that I haven't noted, or what other gear choices make more sense...my goal is a fairly lightweight SS that will primarily be used on flattish singletrack (Ontario doesn't have much in the way of hills!)

I'm currently riding a 2003 Rocky Mountain Vertex which is stock, except for Avid Ultimate brakes and levers, and Chris King hubs laced to Mavic 717s...

First upgrade (can you call it an upgrade?): Spicer Ti fork (435mm, suspension corrected) swap for SID XC.

Rear wheel: I'd like to run the Phil Wood Eccentric Hub, laced to Mavic 717...this means I don't need a chain tensioner, right?

Crankset is a little tricky--I'd like to be able to swap SS to Gearie fairly simply, but I don't know what sort of SS crankset is compatible with the LX crank and BB, which I believe, are integrated...

Suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I suggest you search ebay for some good old fashion square tapers. Preferably something common so you could get two drive sides...

mtbr member

Cranks and BBs...

...interesting thought! I could do this...

Square taper BB, and then get one Race Face Turbine crank (or other), get a drive side Turbine crank, so I have swappable cranks for SS and for Gearie...Not a bad idea!

It seems fairly simple though to convert a drive side crank from Gearie to SS and back..just take off the big and granny rings, install a bashguard, is that about it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah but to be honest I'd just have two different arms. I also dont think half the people that have bashguards need them. For me it would just be unnecessary weight.