Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Chris Kings too expensive, Hopes too noisy, what hubs do I want?

Ok folks, going to build a wheelset for my new project (rigid Chinese carbon 29er with beer bb30.) All XC riding with some small jumps thrown in. Had hopes before but they were too noisy for me. Actually I didn't mind the noise so much, just how often people commented on it got old. Want Kings but my pockets aren't quite that deep. Don't think I want DT Swiss. Quick engagement, durability, light weight all key factors. Oh, and under 350-400 for the set. Some chainline adjustment needed most likely so something with a cassette body is what I'm looking for.

Looking for opinions from those who have had experience with whatever they recommend. Hadley, Profile, ?? I work at a shop so it's important I can E.P. them or get a good deal some other way.

Part of me just says $ave up for some CKs but jeeez they're expensive.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantreams View Post
    Ok folks, going to build a wheelset for my new project (rigid Chinese carbon 29er with beer bb30.) All XC riding with some small jumps thrown in. Had hopes before but they were too noisy for me. Actually I didn't mind the noise so much, just how often people commented on it got old. Want Kings but my pockets aren't quite that deep. Don't think I want DT Swiss. Quick engagement, durability, light weight all key factors. Oh, and under 350-400 for the set. Some chainline adjustment needed most likely so something with a cassette body is what I'm looking for.

Looking for opinions from those who have had experience with whatever they recommend. Hadley, Profile, ?? I work at a shop so it's important I can E.P. them or get a good deal some other way.

Part of me just says $ave up for some CKs but jeeez they're expensive.

Thanks in advance
    I Have DT 240s, with the 10mm RWS with 36 step up ratchets, and they have been good to me.

That being said, I have always wanted a set of King hubs. I would also consider i9, but they are just as expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Get another set of hope trial hubs and just ignore the comments, or ratchet backwards to drown them out. They are great hubs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Hubs

I have White Industry hubs on my 26er, the rear is eccentric for chain adjustment. They are quiet and easy to service. They are not however a cassette setup.
    They are a bit blingy and don't hurt the pocket too much.
    You are right about the Hopes, i feel that I should be wearing a full face helmet and have little or no respect for dirt.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I run DT swiss and have enjoyed them and they are quiet.

undercover brother
    Hopes, if you don't like the noise you can add thicker grease to the hub to quiet it a little. And from what I've heard, the newer models have been silenced a little bit. There is nothing out there that gives you the level of performance with the price you pay. Kings or Hadleys would be the top pick, but just wayyyy to expensive for hubs if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hopes let everyone know your coming and it scares the bears out the way.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    If you didn't mind the noise but got tired of the comments, just learn a few snappy comebacks or ignore them. I have no preference one way or the other when it comes to noisy rear hubs, but I do have a rich vocabulary.

Dirty South Underdog
    ^You should do what he says. I wouldn't question a guy with a beard like that^
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Ski N Bike Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I Have DT 240s, with the 10mm RWS with 36 step up ratchets, and they have been good to me.
    I have the same wheel setup, I love it. The wheel sounds loud in the stand, but on the trail I don't hear it that much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the input guys, I forgot about industry nine. What would you guys rather have, industry nine ultra light or hopes on Chinese carbon rims?

Trail Prospector
    Hadley SDH (72 clicks, w/ Ti f/h) $270.00
    DMR 6 pawl (30 clicks steel f/h) $130.00
    Hope SS (48 clicks, steel f/h) $190.00
    Bonty (Formula) (16 clicks, steel f/h) $ ?
    ----------
    Like the OP, feel too cheap / poor for CK's, so currently run these ^^^.
    Have used all for SS w/o issues, and do notice distinct differences.
    Hadley: Smooth as silk, engage instantly, rolls fast, and are pretty quiet.
    DMR: Well-sealed, easy to service, durable, small pawls = occasionally pops when mashing.
    Bonty: OEM hubs, well-lubed = stealth mode, piss-poor for ratcheting.
    Hope: Noisier than hell. Huge pawls = solid engagement, but w/ friction & slower rolling.

If $$ isn't an issue, I'd go Hadley again in a heartbeat.
    If $$ is an issue the DMR works well, and gone 2-3000 mi w/o a problem.
    For a SS-specific hub Hope trials cannot be beat, however, they are LOUD, and are not silenced by lube.
    While riding I rarely need to ring my bell, everyone but deaf ear-budded runners will hear your approach.
    Each time I coast, the Hope hub growls, and I think of STS riding the entire TD on a fixie, it reminds me that I'm just a lazy SS slug.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm currently riding Kings and DT's. I've had other sets of Kings in the past and am now down to my last set. I won't buy Kings again. If I want the engagement, I will try Hadley or maybe I9.

For those of you that think DT's are quiet... I think you need to crank up the hearing aid. :-) I've got four or five DT ratchet hubs, and they're all really loud. I like them on my Wife's bike because I can hear that she's behind me rather than turning around to see her. My Friend's Hopes are louder, but DT's are pretty high on the noise scale. My Kings are nearly silent compared to the DTs

mtbr member
    I've built a set of wheels using these. Like them so much I ordered more. 48POE, and I almost cannot hear them on the trail.

MTB252 Rear Disc Hub - 10mm Axle

Johnnydrz

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    They're only expensive once.

Get the king rear and something cheaper for the front. Matching is for shoes.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Are 240s $400 for the set ? Not that I'm aware of.

I ran 240s for a long time. They were great until I switched to 36 pt. Broke 2 sets of racthets. And I'm not particularly powerful.

Ski N Bike Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantreams View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I forgot about industry nine. What would you guys rather have, industry nine ultra light or hopes on Chinese carbon rims?
    Given that choice, I9's all the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My vote for Hadley's. Built up a SS specific set. Couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post

I ran 240s for a long time. They were great until I switched to 36 pt. Broke 2 sets of racthets. And I'm not particularly powerful.
    I scored a brand new 240 rear hub for ~$150 recently from an online retailer. They're out there, just gotta search for them.I've been OK with the 36 ratchets, which is good because I dont like the hubs with 18 pt ratchets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've heard stories of I9's blowing up. Therefore I ride kings.

Never heard of any issues with king or hope, but I love the quick pick up on the kings.

Do what I did: buy the wheels one at a time. Rear first because of the nice engagment, then front when you have the cash. However, this is assuming you have a spare front to use while saving for the king hub.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A couple of thing to think about ,with all good hubs they should be serviceable parts should be availlbe ,they should last a long time . I have a set kings that are 10 years old still going ,and that have been on three different bikes.

mtbr member
    In my experience, CK hubs are crappy. The ring drive kept slipping on high torque, which was quite scary. My friend, a mechanic, suffers the same and he's a great lover of CK. To add misery to woe, these hub don't spin that freely.

i-9 are very good hubs, with higher engagement than King, and yet better spinning. I loved them! I had their wheelset and it's a very special experience to ride. Highly recommended. You can also look at Project 3-2-1, which employs i-9's internal mechanism with impeccable CNC workmanship.

Hadely are very solid. The technology is conventional, but the execution is top-shelf. They are heavier than the others, so I've never taken that route.

DT are fantastic hubs. Set and forget. Only 36 P.O.E, but anything over it contributes very little to the engagement. Yes, you feel it, but it's minute. They're very light, easy to maintain, spin forever and durable. They offer interchangeable caps.

BUT!!! All of the above are costly. A good hub that is in your budget is Stan't. 30 P.O.E. and very light. James Bleakly from Black Sheep swears by them. You can get them only as part of a wheelset, which means purchasing them either from Statn's or Dave from Speed Dream Wheels.
    Last edited by Climber999; 11-29-2012 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post

I paid 360.00 for my hubs. As for ratchet, I guess experience's will very. I am 255lbs, and my ratchets hold up for me.
    Last edited by Oliver; 11-30-2012 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I'm currently riding Kings and DT's. I've had other sets of Kings in the past and am now down to my last set. I won't buy Kings again. If I want the engagement, I will try Hadley or maybe I9.

For those of you that think DT's are quiet... I think you need to crank up the hearing aid. :-) I've got four or five DT ratchet hubs, and they're all really loud. I like them on my Wife's bike because I can hear that she's behind me rather than turning around to see her. My Friend's Hopes are louder, but DT's are pretty high on the noise scale. My Kings are nearly silent compared to the DTs
    Out of curiosity, are they old Hugi hubs? If so, then you are right. Those are very loud. If they are newer DT branded hubs sans Hugi they should be pretty quiet. Maybe they need to be serviced.

banned
    If I where to build a wheel up that had a high POE, right now I would choose Project 321 hubs. Those things are absolutely beautiful and I have never heard of any problems with them. Run the same price as I9's but they are lighter.

I personally use DT 240's, but I do not want any POE over 36, too much drag for what I need. ( I have had all the before mentioned hubs and none of them roll like the 240 IMO)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast