Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Chris King SS ISO or Philwood?

I almost got my single speed together and am torn between Chris King Hubs or Philwood. I'm need a 15mm TA for the front. This will be a 29" steel framed bike and I would like lower maintenance.

Thanks in advance
    Steel Freak
    Last edited by Steel Freak; 04-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Mar 2012
    For lower maintenance between those two, I would choose Phil Wood.

But then I'd choose Paul hubs over Phil Wood.
    Paul doesn't have TA hubs, IIRC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd go Chris King. There isn't really maintenance on a front hub, and the King is both light and durable.

mtbr member
    Hadley?

mtbr member
    Chris King gets my vote, especially if you're talking about the SS specific Phil Wood that uses a thread on freewheel, bleh.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Wink Went with the Phils

I ended up choosing the Phils in Black 36h and the WI freewheel. I have a set of Kings and feel they are a bit more maintenance than I care for for a daily rider (I'm gonna ride this thing to work) I also wanted something more unique although Single speeds with Kings are not exactly the norm. I like the Idea of the sealed bearings that don't require adjustment. I'm gonna get the right tools to swap out freewheels.

Weight and cost to change gear ratios seems to be the weak point of the WI freewheel set up, If I wanted to save money I would have bought another $850 single speed 29er like the one I'm on now which has been a great bike for 4 years.
    Steel Freak
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I like King and have always used king hubs, headsets, and bottom brackets.

When I got my singlespeed last year, I bought a set of wheels (original flows on kings, with the rear being ss specific) and I couldn't be happier ...

SPP
    Rigid.

Single Speed Junkie
    I have Kings and Phil hubs. Both are good choices. One is a cog and the other a freewheel. Before WI freewheels I'd say go with the cog option but now it is a toss up.

Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Freak View Post
    I ended up choosing the Phils in Black 36h and the WI freewheel. I have a set of Kings and feel they are a bit more maintenance than I care for for a daily rider (I'm gonna ride this thing to work) I also wanted something more unique although Single speeds with Kings are not exactly the norm. I like the Idea of the sealed bearings that don't require adjustment. I'm gonna get the right tools to swap out freewheels.

Weight and cost to change gear ratios seems to be the weak point of the WI freewheel set up, If I wanted to save money I would have bought another $850 single speed 29er like the one I'm on now which has been a great bike for 4 years.
    Steel Freak

Great choice for a no-bull commuter. I bet you won't be swapping out the ratio on a daily rider anyway.
    My Phil KISS was purchased used with a lot of miles and it still spins wonderfully.