mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Chris King rear hub trouble

I noticed on today's ride that my Chris King rear felt like it was engaging properly. It felt like there was no instant engagement. What could be causing the problem?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When was the last time it was serviced?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It's been a long time since I had it serviced. I should invest in the Chris King hub servicing tool. I hope I didn't damaged anything. The problem just started today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just remove the drive shell and clean it off really well. Then clean the inside ring drive and spring, relube everything and put it back together. Takes 5 minutes and you don't need the servicing tool. You only need that if you want to remove the bearings. You can even relube the main hub bearings without taking them out. Just pop off the seals, clean, relube, reassemble.

But, your issues are most likely a dirty ring drive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    what rear hub lube do you recommend? I have been calling around at my local bike shops asking if they have the CK. rear hub lub. but no such luck. what are my alternatives?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Triflow works well in the colder months. Any LBS can order the ring drive lube from QBP... it's very inexpensive. You can get it direct from King as well (or a place like Universal Cycles).

Don't use triflow on the bearings though... just the drive shell and ring drive parts. Synthetic motor oil works good too.

mtbr member
    Owner's Manuals & Tech Documents | Chris King Precision Components

Everything and anything you want to know about servicing CK parts.

The ringdrive quick service really is a piece of cake to perform.

mtbr member
    I just did two of mine mine for slipping/skipping issues. I did the basic disassembly without the tool, wiped down everything I could reach, flushed with WD-40 & let dry overnight then relubed everything with synthetic motor oil for the winter and they've been perfect since. Super easy!
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid