mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Chris King rear hub problems need advice

I have a CK rear hub that only has a few rides on it. The problem is that I keep getting bearing play. I will tighten the adjusting clamp and 1/2 mile into the ride, it's loose. I stop tighten it again and 100 yds later it's loose again. I called King and they tried to help but their advice has not been effective. The hub comes loose every 10 min's.

Has anyone had similar experience's with their SS rear hub or heard of this happening with CK ? I have talked to several people that complained about this problem with their geared rear hubs. Maybe I should have stuck to Surly or tried the new White Ind. but I really wanted a a hub with a cog and not a freewheel. Guess I'll be back on the phone with King tomorrow... I would rather be riding (

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    I called King and they tried to help but their advice has not been effective.
    Woulda been best if you'da told us what King's advice was.

I have a King SS rear hub and the non-drive bearing seized, causing the adjusting cone to unscrew. This introduced major bearing play.

I followed the King manual's advice about cleaning and repacking the bearings (God bless King's awesome "resealable" bearings) and now my hub is like new. Before I tore into it, I thought I'd have to replace the bearing. Not so.

With the pinch style adjusting cone, it's hard to understand why your hub would repeatedly loosen, unless you have some foreign matter in the non-drive bearing that would make it repeatedly seize.

--Sparty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 04-20-2004 at 08:36 PM. Reason: who cares
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

kings advice

Their advice was to follow the manual when adjusting...exactly what I did. They said the same thing in terms of not quite understanding what the problem could be but the problem does exist.

I had an issue where the lock ring on the drive side came loose on my second ride. I know it was tight when I started but could it be that I had a similar issue with seizing? I read about the servicing of bearings in the manual so maybe that is the next step. Strange that I have to go into it this early in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Woulda been best if you'da told us what King's advice was.

I have a King SS rear hub and the non-drive bearing seized, causing the adjusting cone to unscrew. This introduced major bearing play.

I followed the King manual's advice about cleaning and repacking the bearings (God bless King's awesome "resealable" bearings) and now my hub is like new. Before I tore into it, I thought I'd have to replace the bearing. Not so.

With the pinch style adjusting cone, it's hard to understand why your hub would repeatedly loosen, unless you have some foreign matter in the non-drive bearing that would make it repeatedly seize.

--Sparty

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    Their advice was to follow the manual when adjusting...exactly what I did. They said the same thing in terms of not quite understanding what the problem could be but the problem does exist.

I had an issue where the lock ring on the drive side came loose on my second ride. I know it was tight when I started but could it be that I had a similar issue with seizing? I read about the servicing of bearings in the manual so maybe that is the next step. Strange that I have to go into it this early in the game.
    Have you tried followed the directions in this thread yet? King SS hub owners - adjustment question. If not, then perhaps you're not actually bottoming out the adjusting cone when you are tightening it.

As far as your lock ring issue goes, there is no bearing associated with that, it screws directly into the freewheel shell. Are you torquing everything down to the proper level?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Call and explain that you've followed the directions in the manual. They will probably offer to check out the wheel if you ship it to them. I've had a defective bearing replaced and returned within the same week.

Contrarian
    I had a similar problem. I'd remove any play by tightening the cone, do up the pinch bolt and after one ride there was loads of play again. I'm not sure whether this was the cause or an effect but after a few attempts I dismantled the hub and discovered that the inside edge of the adjuster cone had broken down and was peeling off along the line of the threads so I had a 'hair' of unravelled thread. A new adjuster cone supplied under warranty has fixed it completely.

When I fitted the new cone I marked it so I could tell if it was unscrewing; unfortunately I didn't do that with the old one - it would have interersting to know if that was part of the problem.

This should make it clearer:

More pictures here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

thanks trying again today

OK, after a few beers last night and some advice, I am going in again.
    To answer some questions, I have tightened it on the frame and off. I cranked it as hard as I could by hand and I feel like it was pretty tight. I could feel the drag in the wheel but after 100 yds the play was back. I am tightening the hex bolt a little bit beyond what they say just to be sure and thats not it.
    I am going to try the hex wrench trick and see what happens. The adjusting cone looks fine on mine at this point but I will keep an eye on that as well.

thx

Contrarian
    Make a small mark with permanent marker that spans the cone and the hub so you can make sure it's not unscrewing itself.