mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Chris King ISO Disc rear hub

I have a CK ISO rear disc hub that I want to make into a SS rear hub. Where can I get some spacers and a cool cog for that hub?

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006

Sweep the leg!
    I've got a range of Surly cogs I use on my King which has the aluminum freehub body. I love'em.

Our cassette-type cogs are designed to fit on standard Shimano compatible freehub bodies. These cogs have a tall tooth profile that is essential for preventing chain skip from the extra torque a singlespeed drivetrain encounters. In addition to being a stellar SS cog, the cog base width (where it contacts the freehub body) is 4.35mm, so you can stack a few of them up and use a 9-speed shifter for a simplified multi-speed drivetrain. This width also prevents it from ruining the freehub body as a result of digging grooves into it like skinny stamped cogs have a tendency to do. Surly cogs are machined from SCM415 CroMoly steel, then heat-treated for toughness and chrome-plated for surface hardening and enhanced chain lubricity. Our cogs will work with 6-9-speed 3/32" chains, although we recommend the inherently updated quality of an 8 or 9 speed chain. They are also available in every increment from 13-22t, so you can select that perfect gear.
    As for a spacer, there's a spacer which has the ability to change widths as it is two pieces threaded into each other. A buddy has one on his El Mariachi but I don't remember the brand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by xmynameisdan
    I use a Boone cog w/their spacers. You will never have to buy another one again. That ti will last for forever and it is the best looking one on the market. You do pay for that though.

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    As for a spacer, there's a spacer which has the ability to change widths as it is two pieces threaded into each other. A buddy has one on his El Mariachi but I don't remember the brand.
    It might be this one from Rennen:

http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/Spacer_Kit_Desc.htm

That's what I use with my Surly cog and it works great (although I don't use King hubs).

- khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson