mtbr member

New question here. Chris King cogs on I9 singlespeed hubs...

Anyone have any experience with this combination?

I just received a shiny new Chris King 20t cog and discovered it will not fit my new I9 rear singlespeed hub. Before I go needlessly complaining to I9 about something which I may not fully understand, I simply wanted to ask in this forum about possible issues others may have had....

The ChrisKing cog fits my American Classic singlespeed hub perfectly, but will not fit at all on the I9s...very much in shock as I planned on racing this setup in 2 weeks.

Any clues, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My guess is that it will fit but you are nervous to force it on. The king cogs have very tight tolerances and fit very tight on freehubs.
    I called king when i tried to put my king cog on my king hub because it appeared that it would not fit.
    It's actually a good thing because it won't slip on the freehub body like cheap cogs and chew it up. It still gets chewed a little but......
    I would put some kind of lube on the freehub and try and put it on again. I had to move it from side to side using both thumbs and slowly but surely it went on. It will NEVER just slide on. Let us know how it goes?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean
    Anyone have any experience with this combination?

I just received a shiny new Chris King 20t cog and discovered it will not fit my new I9 rear singlespeed hub. Before I go needlessly complaining to I9 about something which I may not fully understand, I simply wanted to ask in this forum about possible issues others may have had....

The ChrisKing cog fits my American Classic singlespeed hub perfectly, but will not fit at all on the I9s...very much in shock as I planned on racing this setup in 2 weeks.

Any clues, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i9 free hubs are notoriously tight in my experience. King free hubs are also usually pretty large.
    This drives me nuts because i prefer to make my cogs fit close on every hub, but since certain manufacturers cant stick to a standard, it makes it a pain in the ass for everybody.

mtbr member
    ok, so my sanity is restored....it is not just me.

I wasted about 2 hours of my life last night trying subtle things to try and get this cog on.
    Without drastic filing and boring, I just don't believe it is going to slip fit into place...

I actually forced it partway on and then found a stopping point where it would not go any further...actually heard spokes loudly creaking under the stress that I was emparting on this wheel. The problem I then encountered was that I could not get it off easily...This really sucked and almost took more time trying to undo what I had done...

I don't know or care who dropped the ball on sticking to spec, but I wish they would address it soon. I am out $42 on a cog which I really wanted to use this season based on longevity and will probably just chunk into the cool, useless parts bin quite soon.

thanks for the thoughts.

bummed.
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006

sorry to hear that man. give either i9 or king (or both) a call. I'm sure one of them would help you out with at least a refund so you can get a cog that fits.

mtbr member
    Warm the cog up before sliding it on the hub. Don't get crazy on it, just boil it in water and just slide it on. Make sure you lube the hub splines with anti-seize. Did you try and lightly dress the cog splines with a fine file or crocus cloth?
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

Single Speed Junkie
    The interface is tight between the I9 hub and the King cogs. What I've done is take a long strip of 600 grit sand paper looped over the hub / cog interface. Holding the hub body stable in a wooden vice run the sand paper back and forth over the freehub body. It will spin in one direction and not the other removing just a slight ammount of material. After about 20 passes knocking down the high spots on the hub the cog should slide on. It will still be tight, but should work now.

Note:
    Do not use a metal vice it will damage the finish.
    If you don't have a vice get creative.
    Take it slow, it is easier to remove material than put it back on.

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by crux
    The interface is tight between the I9 hub and the King cogs. What I've done is take a long strip of 600 grit sand paper looped over the hub / cog interface. Holding the hub body stable in a wooden vice run the sand paper back and forth over the freehub body. It will spin in one direction and not the other removing just a slight ammount of material. After about 20 passes knocking down the high spots on the hub the cog should slide on. It will still be tight, but should work now.

Note:
    Do not use a metal vice it will damage the finish.
    If you don't have a vice get creative.
    Take it slow, it is easier to remove material than put it back on.
    I never thought about doing a surface sanding over the freehub body...i will try that tonite and see how it goes...Thanks crux!

I have also spoken with I9 and they also mention Chris King cogs being ridiculously tight...but i have a WTB on right now that took some effort to slide into place, so, the tip about sanding the freehub body carefully might do the trick....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Cog Problems

I am running the hadley S/S rear hub, have found the following, Surley cogs slide right on, but fit loose, (think they make them sloppy so as to always fit), Endless cogs, do not go on, they are machined with a radius in the inside or bottom of the spline, Hadley splines are 90 degrees, solution, gently file lower corners of the cog with a square file, cog now goes on with a great fit. Suggest that you may be able to do the same with the King, I am also about to try a Rennan Cog, they look nice and come in colors. Good Luck. By the way, if it were me I would not sand the freehub body !!

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mac
    I am running the hadley S/S rear hub, have found the following, Surley cogs slide right on, but fit loose, (think they make them sloppy so as to always fit), Endless cogs, do not go on, they are machined with a radius in the inside or bottom of the spline, Hadley splines are 90 degrees, solution, gently file lower corners of the cog with a square file, cog now goes on with a great fit. Suggest that you may be able to do the same with the King, I am also about to try a Rennan Cog, they look nice and come in colors. Good Luck. By the way, if it were me I would not sand the freehub body !!
    OK.

I ended up filing the inside of the splines on the cog finally and after some time filing, it went on snug,but without drama. I will be testing it out tomorrow on an extended ride to ensure no structural issues, but I think I am done. It kind of sucked that it did not go on right away, but I am glad all it took was a little filing to be able to get some use out of such a great looking cog.

Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions and words of advice you guys shared. It really helped me make my mind up as to how to handle the issue...

Cheers,
    CoffeeBean