mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Choosing a frame for my first SS!

Hey everyone, I'm planning on building up my first SS in the next month or so, and I figured I should decide on a frame before anything else. I used to do some mountain biking with my Fetish Discipline, but my bike was stolen last year on campus, sadly. I finally found a job near my school and have some money coming in. I'm on a (relatively) limited budget so of course I went to eBay first. I found a store called "Fibica" who seem to be based in China. I've never heard of most of these brands before, so I'm not sure if their knock offs or something, as they're very cheap. I hope you guys don't mind looking at a few of these to tell me if they'd be decent purchases, or if it'd be a bad investment. I'm not too sure on all the rules around here, so I hope I'm not breaking planetary law or something. Take a look at these, if you don't mind! And if you have any advice on building up the rest of my SS, feel free to let me know! I've taken a brief look at the FAQ already.

[1] ****************bW1tk1
    [2] ****************bBO4vJ
    [3] ****************brsE9d
    [4] ****************ddu68O
    [5] ****************bQevdr
    [6] ****************952oJe

Also, if you'd like to point me in the right direction of somewhere else to build one for a decent price, let me know! Thanks a lot, guys!

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    id say go with the qpwrogubq43 or the 1p3429gub or the 31pogu34b or the bpq39vh8 or the p3oubqerpog or the p3qogubqr or the bwui5p49 or the 3498ghespfb or the p34q89ghqperob or the 2p349gh

but not the qpworbhq35 or the q4p98gh or the p2439bh or the q439p8hg
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Apparently bit.ly links don't work. I'll pull them up again and edit the post if I can

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    r u plannin on running a tensioner or eccentric hub? none of these have horz drops or ebb's...

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    if you are on a limited budjet building a bike is the wrong route...

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ahh to be honest I'm not sure. I'm really not sure what I need to look for in a frame right now. Would those not be able to run a singlespeed setup?

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    if you are on a limited budjet building a bike is the wrong route...

No Doubt!

Go with something pre-fabed... Looking at approx. $900-1100 to get on a real nice entry level bike. Once you decide whether SS is for you or not - then you can start amping up the new steed.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanuk
    No Doubt!

Go with something pre-fabed... Looking at approx. $900-1100 to get on a real nice entry level bike. Once you decide whether SS is for you or not - then you can start amping up the new steed.
    Wait, are you saying it'd cost me $900-1100 to build one? That sucks. I want a SS mountain bike, but I don't have that much money! I'd say I'm looking to spend less than $600. Any suggestions?

lone rider
    There's a few choices below $600.

Redline Monocog
    GT Peace (unsure of the price on this)
    SE Stout
    BikesDirect has a few to choose from.

You may also be able to find a lightly used bike on craigslist.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    I'd keep a watch on ebay, I picked up an '08 Redline Monocog Flight with a Reba fork for $550 a couple of months ago....good deal & within your budget

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So, are those BD bikes decent? I've never heard of the brands they're selling, but they look pretty good. I like the Motobecanes - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...antom29_08.htm

and the Windsor - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff29_1.htm

are these good quality? Do you think I'd be pleased with these?

lone rider
    I have no hands-on experience with any of the BD or Motobecane bikes. There are numerous threads on them, you’ll just have to search for the information. I have ordered other online bikes (Ibex) with great results. But, Ibex is now out of business and I would have been SOL for parts, service, technical assistance, etc.

I personally feel the Monocog or GT offer the best value. Very solid reputation and a great price point. I found my 07 Monocog for $250 (lightly used).
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by zaoch
    So, are those BD bikes decent? I've never heard of the brands they're selling, but they look pretty good. I like the Motobecanes - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...antom29_08.htm

and the Windsor - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff29_1.htm

are these good quality? Do you think I'd be pleased with these?

This to save you a bit of search time; and to make this totally clear
    the bikes you site are made in factories that build bikes for about every brand out there including 4 out of 5 biggest brands sold

quality is no different than any bike you would see in a bike shop; I think it is fair to say that this is universially excepted by all experts

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    This to save you a bit of search time; and to make this totally clear
    the bikes you site are made in factories that build bikes for about every brand out there including 4 out of 5 biggest brands sold

quality is no different than any bike you would see in a bike shop; I think it is fair to say that this is universially excepted by all experts
    Awesome. Well save me a black 17" one of these http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm

because I'll be placing an order on Monday!