mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Cheap SS Cranks?

Well I'm in the process of buying new cranks for my SS project. I already tried the classifieds and have found some possibilities, but am still looking. Does anyone have any extra SS cranks laying around that they want to sell for a reasonable price? I'm looking for a 32t chainring to go with it but I will take what I can get.

Thanks
    Matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    personally, I would look at something like this.....................http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/161...nkset-2008.htm
    cheap, and stiff.
    yes, it is a pig, but you only have one gear to spin or stomp.

personally I run some V-Drive extremes, and while porcine, they have been durable and plenty stiff.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

You know, for kids
    FSA Powerstroke cranks - $30-40 + bottom bracket

On my SS I've been running TruVativ Hussefelt cranks for the past two years - $70 cranks and $35 bottom bracket. Not the lightest, but dang tough.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

leashem
    I got a triple ring from Nashbar for $29 bucks and took the other rings off. I have been hammering that thing with no complaints. I do get some rear wheel flex but thats another story.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I run the Shimano Alivio FC-M410 with a Blackspire Mono Veloce ring. You can get 'em both for about $69 + shipping at JensonUSA.

smell the saddle...
    New OEM Race Face XCs, bomb proof, fairly light and cheap at $48:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...eProductSearch

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the help everyone, I will be looking around now

mtbr member
    Make sure you check ebay. I had no trouble finding a nice set of race face turbines for like $40
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    truvativ and raceface make cheap ones.

raceface is better, the stylo isn't that great.

one chain loop
    pinkbike classifieds is a nice place to buy used stuff too
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i am running an octalink lx crank arms with a 44t tooth on my commuter and picked up some xt arms for my cross bike. All you need then is a bottom bracket, chain ring, and SS chain ring bolts. you can get crank arms of ebay really cheap. My xt set was being sold brand new without the middle and large rings for cheap. You can def get a deal on a quality part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I believe i saw a raceface evolve xc ss crank w/bb on the pricepopint site around 120 dollars

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I second Snowboys recomendation. I also have that crank and beat it to hell. It has held up great with no issues. 230 lbs and riding it everyday with no issues. The only thing I did was change the ring to a steel surly ring. 32/15 is my combo. The setup is cheap and strong as heck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt
    truvativ and raceface make cheap ones.

raceface is better, the stylo isn't that great.
    I had a great experience with the stylo. Just have your LBS tighten the crankbolt to spec, don't do it yourself or it'll back itself back out.

I found the stylo to be great, never had a single issue with it. $150 w/ BB.

I Have Cookies

fsa maximus

I run a FSA Maximus that I got for Cheeap! its super stiff and not too heavy! (I think) it's not trally a SS crankset but if you leave off the small ring it is!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo