mtbr member
    May 2008

Cheap single speed wheelset recommendations.

So I'm building a cheap commuter bike. I'm looking for a 700c wheelset for a singlespeed build. Preferably with sealed bearing hubs and not too heavy. I would grealy appreciate any recomendations you may have. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You want SS specific rear hub? If not, you can get a set of Mavic A319 on eBay for less than $200. They have XT hubs. They're not superlight, but they're not too bad either, and they are bombproof.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Re: Cheap single speed wheelset recommendations.

Yes I would prefer the rear hub to be SS. As the frame I'm building is SS specific with 120mm rear spacing. At least I believe that means I must use an SS specific rear hub. I could be wrong, this is the first SS bike I've ever built. Also, can I use any chain on a fixed gear setup? Like a 9 or 10 speed chain? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

local trails rider
    Are you making it fixed, or singlespeed with freewheel, or flip-flop with either?
    Anyway, the 120mm spacing points towards street/track designs.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    120mm rules out common mtb hubs, both geared and single speed as they will all be at least 135mm.

For 120 mm hub width your best bet may be to try ebay for a NOS set of wheels or hubs to build up.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Re: Cheap single speed wheelset recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Are you making it fixed, or singlespeed with freewheel, or flip-flop with either?
    Anyway, the 120mm spacing points towards street/track designs.
    I would set it up with a freewheel. And yes it looks like I'm leaning towards eBay. Can anyone answer my question about the chain? Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    most track bikes use a 1/8" single-speed chain. it all depends on the freewheel and chainring you use. if they are narrow, use a narrow chain. you can use a 1/8" chain on narrow teeth, but a narrower chain would work better.

for a wheel, you are going to be limited to "track" wheels with 120mm spacing. many of these on the market will have threads for a fixed cog and lock ring on one side and a freewheel on the other.

your local bike shop can probably get you a "cheap" rear track wheel for about $100.

local trails rider
    Track wheels are fixed. Make sure to get a wheel that says "freewheel", if you want a freewheel.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"