mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Cheap Single Speed Conversion - A Little Help, Please

So my nieghbor left this Mongoose bike outside for months after he moved. He abandoned it over 6 months ago so I "aquired" it. I stripped it down and am going to make it a single speed. Its a cheap bike, maybe a $200-$300 rigid bike and its gotta be 10-15 years old. My question can I convert the old style rear wheel to single speed? I'm not familiar with old style hubs, I know the SS conversion kits work for new hubs with a lock ring and a slide on cassette.

One pic is with the axle, in the other its with it out.

Thanks
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    its a free wheel

your going to need one of these and a lot of raw power:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ool+Fr-1C.aspx

after that you can throw on a freewheel and attempt to squeeze the 120mm gap that is left behind on the chain stays( i found it quite difficult to align the FW with the chain ring)

good luck
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    OK thanks, it looks like too much time and effort remove the free wheel.......

Next question, should I keep the existing freewheel and just run a single speed chain?
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Originally when I converted recently I bought a BMX chain (1/8) but man was it ever heavy, plus it wasn't the most flexible thing ever, so I swapped back to the 8 speed chain (3/32) my bike came with and I've been digging it ever since.

But ultimately, I kept the same chain and same freewheel. I just slapped on some spacers and a single speed cog and used a chain break tool to get the chain the proper length to run as a single.

I intend to keep running on this setup for quite a long time to come. I do, however, have a new chain tensioner coming, which is something else you might want to consider if your bike has vertical dropouts.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    OK thanks, it looks like too much time and effort remove the free wheel.......
    Take it to a bike shop and that freewheel will be off in under a minute

Then the fun starts, you'll have to respace the axle and redish the wheel to get a decent chain line.

It's not a big deal, but it's not automatic either.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    can we see the frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'll post pics tomorrow after I paint it. It stripped and sanded the frame and its getting the rattle can in the AM. I also go to the LBS and try and get a little help with the freewheel SS conversion.

Update tomorrow
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    well done! always good to see a bike come "back to life".
    Mountain Cycle collector,i have 8 of 'em now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

$50 + a trashed bike + a couple days free days = single speed

Ok, so I solved my dilema of gettig the free wheel off the "donated" 1990s Mongoose Manuever. I took it to the LBS and took the freewheel off no problem and put on a BMX 16tooth freewheel. While I was there I picked up a single Tektro V-brake, lever, a 7/8 speed chain and some brake cable/housing. I also stopped for some matte black spray paint. Total costs so far:

Spray paint - $7
    BMX 16t free wheel - $9
    KMC SS chain - $13
    Tektro V brake and lever - $19
    brake cable/housing - $3

I began by sanding the crap out the frame. The most difficult part was sanding of the logos, but they came off with some elbow grease and 150 grit sand paper. Then I washed it, let it dry and rubbed it down with rubbing alcohol to make sure it was super clean. Here's the before pic, ready for paint.

I left the cranks on because all the rings are riveted together so rather than buying a new SS crankset, I'll just use the 32 middle ring and hope it stays on. I also left the stem and bar on mostly because it would be a hassle to swap them.

All the parts went on smooth. It is nice touch that the frame has (almost) horizontal drop outs, makes getting the chain tension much easier. The only pain was rebuilding the rear hub but she's up and running except for grips and non plastic pedals. Not bad for $50 and a trashed bike.

Thanks to all those helped me get the freewheel off.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks good dude.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i like it but plz change those cranks.

ill help you out if you want so go supper cheap:

cranks:
    http://www.danscomp.com/452006.php?cat=RACE

Chain ring bolts:
    http://www.danscomp.com/459003.php?cat=RACE

Chainring: dont cheap out on a chainring

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Chainring.aspx

go with the 110 mm

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris

I like to go to supper cheap, but nowadays restaurants seem to be really price gouging.

If you want to go really super cheap, then drill, grind, or dremel the chain ring rivets off and save 29.99 that'd be spent on another set of crank arms. If you have the tools already, that is.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Cut off wheel worked great on my SS. You could leave it on and use it as a bash guard. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris

cranks:
    http://www.danscomp.com/452006.php?cat=RACE

Chain ring bolts:
    http://www.danscomp.com/459003.php?cat=RACE

Chainring: dont cheap out on a chainring

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Chainring.aspx

go with the 110 mm
    Thanks for the reconmnedations. I didn't know I could get a SS crank so cheap. I may have to order those up.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    Thanks for the reconmnedations. I didn't know I could get a SS crank so cheap. I may have to order those up.
    yea , they are for bmx racers who jump so you know they need something strong. Ive taken these (attached to my bike of course ) to a skate park , jumped the ramps and landed hard and the hold up fine.