mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New question here. cheap cogs gouging freewheels?

does this really happen when using those cheap Novatec/shimano or any ss cog used without the wide base like King Kogs or Surly's? should i be worried about my freewheels when using these? or are they some marketing ploy to buy the more expensive stuff? don't have much experience/miles yet with ss, but loving it so far. ride on!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    If your freeHUB body (freewheels are different) is steel the narrow base cogs are fine. If the freehub body is aluminum or Ti the wide base cogs are needed to reduce damage.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If your freeHUB body (freewheels are different) is steel the narrow base cogs are fine. If the freehub body is aluminum or Ti the wide base cogs are needed to reduce damage.
    So Shiggy.....which cogs would then qualify as "wide" and is wide a relative term and/or are the "wide" based cogs pretty much the same as one another.

Waiting to exhale.
    I don't know what kind of metals where involved but, I had some deore and deore XT hubs with broken up cassette cogs and spacers. In just a few months I noticed some serious notches forming. I bought a steel wide based cog and It still gouges but not as deep.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    So Shiggy.....which cogs would then qualify as "wide" and is wide a relative term and/or are the "wide" based cogs pretty much the same as one another.
    Ours are the widest at a full 1/4", and the most precise fitting. Of course, not digging into freehub bodies is major plus. Even steel freehub bodies can get torn up. Another advantage of a precision interface is better cog alignment which can give you more consistant chain tension, more even wear, and a quieter drivetrain. On larger sized cogs, which reduce chain tension and therefore benefit from a huge range of drivetrain improvements, the width is critical for out of plane stiffness. I personally plan on running 39/21 as soon as I can afford some good road cranks.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

mtbr member
    Wide based will be King (thinest), Surly, Boone and Endless (the widest), sorry if I left one out.

I run an AL freehub and use Boone, soon will be trying out an Endless. So far no gouges on the body.

glyphic bacon
    I've been running standard Shimano DX BMX cogs for a few years now on a converted XT hub (w/steel freehub). I've never *ever* gouged (or destroyed) the freehub yet, and I weigh ~185lbs. A friend of mine has been riding them for years and years too, and he also has had no problems. If I broke out a magnifying glass and carefully examined the FH shell I probably would see a few small tool marks, but certainly nothing significant and certainly nothing that would keep me from riding it. A DX cog would tear up an aluminum FH, and it may do a number on some Ti FH's from what I've heard. But Titanium can have a very wide range of hardness depending on how it's alloyed/annealed. So this may mean that just because a DX cog cuts into brand X's Ti FH, that doesn't necessarily mean it will do the same to brand Y's Ti FH. I plan on trying the DX cog on a shimano XTR Ti FH soon, so we'll see how it holds up. If it doesn't I'll probably just swap it out with a standard XT steel FH (which apparently are interchangeable).

Quote Originally Posted by SS Gladiator
    does this really happen when using those cheap Novatec/shimano or any ss cog used without the wide base like King Kogs or Surly's? should i be worried about my freewheels when using these? or are they some marketing ploy to buy the more expensive stuff? don't have much experience/miles yet with ss, but loving it so far. ride on!

F@CK da dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy-Stardust
    I've been running standard Shimano DX BMX cogs for a few years now on a converted XT hub (w/steel freehub).
    stupid question:
    How can you tell if your freehub body is steel or alu?

I've been running shimano/novatec cogs on an XT freehub for years without any problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stupid Reply:

Try a magnet.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I have a novatec that did start gouging my freehub body almost right away, so it does happen.

Want to vent?

Yep i had those novatecs when i started SS and they ate up a xt freehub body...switched to king kog...it still put a little notch in there.....i also used to crank the tensioner loose...........dump all that junk and go white eno wheel if u have the funds.......

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"