USB Rep'n

Chameleon owners, good trail bike??

I'm curious because I have been considering one. I'm on a RM Blizzard currently and love the feel but I have been riding more park and dirt jumps (mostly at the bmx track) lately and wonder just how much the Blizz can take of that. The Chameleon seems like a great all arounder (despite the issue with rear disc setup as a SS) I just wondered how they feel on the trail as an xc bike and if they are light enough to be raced even. Also, what is the longevity of the frame relative to steel? Thanks guys (and girls), I appreciate any feedback.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

eat my pantaloons
    I have one. It's pretty indestructible and yet fairly light. Super rigid with its huge boxed chainstays - I can't imagine it ever breaking. I've had my ss down to 21lbs at one point so you could race it. See the pics in the 19 single speeders post - it's the green bike.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I'm curious because I have been considering one. I'm on a RM Blizzard currently and love the feel but I have been riding more park and dirt jumps (mostly at the bmx track) lately and wonder just how much the Blizz can take of that. The Chameleon seems like a great all arounder (despite the issue with rear disc setup as a SS) I just wondered how they feel on the trail as an xc bike and if they are light enough to be raced even. Also, what is the longevity of the frame relative to steel? Thanks guys (and girls), I appreciate any feedback.
    You can build it up as heavy or light (limited by the 4-5# frame). It is an awsome all around bike, i've done park and dj with the same set up that I trail ride. Mine is approx 34# now (w/ gears). I haven't heard of anyone breaking a chameleon.

Also i've seen SDizzle's set-up and he is running disk and SS ( w/ the disk adapter) so it can be done, but you might have to mess w/ the gears a bit.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by erol
    I have one. It's pretty indestructible and yet fairly light. Super rigid with its huge boxed chainstays - I can't imagine it ever breaking. I've had my ss down to 21lbs at one point so you could race it. See the pics in the 19 single speeders post - it's the green bike.
    I did notice your ride right away in those pics and love the green (probably the color I'd get if not maybe the rootbeer). How does it ride on the trails though? I mean, is it a rough ride, does it climb and descend well, positives, negatives, you know the stuff. I think its a great bike if you are looking for a do it all, just not sure how it would feel on the wet rocks and roots we have out east.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

The best!

Chameleons are sweet, and, like is said elsewhere in this post, can be set up however you want. If you're lucky, and can get a pre-2004, you won't have any problems with discs. The new ones have fixed mounts, and I've heard will run 32 x 18 with no problems, but pretty much nothing else (other than connotations of 32 x 18). I've ridden mine with a Z1, 120 mm Black, 80 mm Z4, and hopefully soon with a Surly KM rigid. The Black offered the nicest head angle, but the Z1 the nicest travel, so I stuck with it. It's pretty slack, but you quickly get the feeling it's what the bike was designed for, and learn to ride it everywhere.

The ride is really comfortable for a hartail. It's not steel, keep in mind, but it does pretty damn well for Al. Here's mine, though it's changed a lot since that photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Hey....

Is that green ride one of the steals Jenson had going on? That's the same place I got mine, for a whopping $250. I got tired of referring to it as a Chameleon and knowing it wasn't, so I stripped/painted it. That, and my GF called it the 'Hulk'.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

SlowJoe
    You gotta love that deal on those frames. I went from an old heckler to this and the handling is sooo much better for tight trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master of the Obvious

I had a chameleon once

I had a pet chameleon once when I was a kid ,but it got out of it's cage, and being a chameleon it blended in with the couch and my old man sat on him and squished him.

3D guy

We the people ... Green...

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I did notice your ride right away in those pics and love the green (probably the color I'd get if not maybe the rootbeer). How does it ride on the trails though? I mean, is it a rough ride, does it climb and descend well, positives, negatives, you know the stuff. I think its a great bike if you are looking for a do it all, just not sure how it would feel on the wet rocks and roots we have out east.
    Green is no longer available from SC (so no new green ones, though there may be hanging out at some dealers). It is that the particular green powder coat that is no longer available not that SC does not want to make a green bike.

Here is my new SS Chameleon (only one ride around the street by my house before breaking my leg)...

Now if I can just get my leg to heal... =(

Geoff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome bike. I have one and the geometry is spot on for me. Running my 5in z1 is no problem, and I can go hard without worrying about frame breakage.

SS with disc is possible with the disc mount, just takes some patience to set it up just right.