Thread: Chainrings

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Chainrings

I've been commuting to nite school and often spin out (right term?) on the flats... what do you guys recommend? I'm currently running 32/16 and was thinking of maybe switching to a 34 or 36.

Any insight? Anyone have one I can borrow?

Dive Bomber
    Get 36 if you don't want too spinny.

Use this link, really helps you to decide what RPM or what speed you can achieve with the ratio.

http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

Ovaries on the Outside
    If you move to Eugene I have a couple chainrings you can borrow, provided you have a 110bcd crank...

L09erdr

Listen!

Yep you got the right idea but remember its going to make the not so flat parts of your ride a little bit harder. Theres always a switcheroo, catch 22, double edged sword kinda thing when you are searching for the perfect SS gearing tha is best for you.

You might want to live with some spin or learn to spin a bit better. You get a gear thats too difficult you can always change back but think real hard before you spend the money and have to change things. Continuous drivetrain changing isnt the funnest thing. Also is this a 29er or what kind/size of bike?

mtbr member
    Are you only on the road? Do you have hills? If you do and they aren't very big I would go bigger than a 36. When I bought my monocog the previous owner was commuting with a 44x16. I have gone to a 36x18 but I don't ride it on roads and I climb quite a bit.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com

getting back into it...
    Running 38x16 in fairly hilly neighborhood and definitely still spin out and definitely have lots of out-of-saddle climbing but ultimately it's been a good ratio for me so far...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ride a Surly 1x1 and will be mostly on the road until the end of the year.

I picked up a used Blackspire 34T (mounted only). One way is sort of downhill so coming home didn't have me spinning so much.

I thought of becoming a better spinner and that's why I didn't go bigger.