conjoinicorned

chainrings and the 4-bolt mafia

hi
    i'm having a problem. i have a sweet new monstercross bike (singular peregrine). i want to run it SS in the winter, 1x9 in the summer. for 1x9 i want to run around a 40-44t chainring to keep a balance between road and offroad. for SS i want to run around 36-40t chainring since i have the cogs to make a 2:1

i have shitmano 4-bolt cranks, and wasn't really budgeting for new cranks...but there aren't any 4-bolt non-ramped chainrings bigger than 36t? why?

and why are all the 5-bolt cranks (that aren't road cranks) some idiotic square taper setup?(sorry guys, square taper really is stupid and my mind won't be changed)

semi-rhetorical questions, although if someone can help me on my quest it's appreciated!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i dont make them above 36t due to material constraints, but i would guess that they'd also be pretty flexy.

AZ
    banned
    Middleburn , 42 tooth I believe .

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oG7mzMe7...iddleburn.html

Mattias in the weight weenies forum might make a 40 tooth , you would have to pm him .

mtbr member
    Salsa makes 42, 44, and 48t versions of their SS rings. I've been very happy with my Salsa 36t ring

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Salsa makes 42, 44, and 48t versions of their SS rings. I've been very happy with my Salsa 36t ring

thanks Boomn!

i just won a set of old school dura-ace cranks on fleabay (by accident LOL) so it looks like for now i'm going the 5-bolt route anyways, and eating my own words on square taper. he he he...

mtbr member
    I see you found your rings, but Surly Mr. Whirly is available with a 5 bolt spider and is external bearing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Tangent 41t and a Blackspire 40t. Both are just fine. Look at DH rings too.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    hi

and why are all the 5-bolt cranks (that aren't road cranks) some idiotic square taper setup?(sorry guys, square taper really is stupid and my mind won't be changed)

Mr. ferday, up until this post, you were someone I respected and trusted.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Mr. ferday, up until this post, you were someone I respected and trusted.

--sParty

LOL

ironically, while i was actually using the search function i came across no less than 3 posts of yours touting the awesomeness of square taper. one was from 2006 no less (where you were discussing some insanely long bullseye cranks)

hey man, at least i agree with you about the 5-bolt thing....

and stupid may have been harsh but i just like the external standard...
    Last edited by ferday; 10-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by cannotaim

sinz products also suck
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'd be pissed, but the unicorn was really cute.

Oh well, you'll realize the beauty of square taper with the ebay pick up. Square taper and five bolt- best system out there, a ***** to find for mountain bikes.

I think it is weird you are planning on 1x9 in the summer. Winter sludge is the only time I want gears. Also, are you looking at a gear range? I'm just saying that because you'll feel drag on the high and low of your cassette range. I'm pretty sure I can feel it and I'm not making it up. Anyway, I ran a 1x8 for about three months, burned out the small teeth in that same tire period and the cassette started skipping. For that reason, I think it makes a lot of sense to do 2x- your cassette will last longer and you're already having to deal with derailers in any case.

Just some thoughts. I do want to see pictures. Singulars are awfully tempting.

L09erdr

Listen!

Heres a couple more options:

http://www.danscomp.com/459034.php?cat=PARTS

http://www.danscomp.com/459050.php?cat=PARTS

Along with Tangent as someone mentioned above!

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I'd be pissed, but the unicorn was really cute.

Oh well, you'll realize the beauty of square taper with the ebay pick up. Square taper and five bolt- best system out there, a ***** to find for mountain bikes.

I think it is weird you are planning on 1x9 in the summer. Winter sludge is the only time I want gears. Also, are you looking at a gear range? I'm just saying that because you'll feel drag on the high and low of your cassette range. I'm pretty sure I can feel it and I'm not making it up. Anyway, I ran a 1x8 for about three months, burned out the small teeth in that same tire period and the cassette started skipping. For that reason, I think it makes a lot of sense to do 2x- your cassette will last longer and you're already having to deal with derailers in any case.

Just some thoughts. I do want to see pictures. Singulars are awfully tempting.
    no pics until jenson comes....she'll be all built next week-ish and i'll definitely post.

in the winter i like SS (2:1) ratio cause it snows a ton here and i find it easier to push the studs through the deep snow with a nice solid SS setup.

in the summer i'd prefer an SS setup but i can't go fast on the road, climb the rockies, and pull my kids in the trailer all with the same gear, but i stick with 1x9 cause i hate the front dérailleur.

i'm not going to beat the square taper horse any more, but it was a great system 15 years ago . i really LIKE the external standard, and so does the unicorn.

just an IMO like every other bit of crap we all spew on the emptybeer.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by L09erdr
    Heres a couple more options:

http://www.danscomp.com/459034.php?cat=PARTS

http://www.danscomp.com/459050.php?cat=PARTS

Along with Tangent as someone mentioned above!
    do not buy MCS brand parts , they are cheaply built

mtbr member
    Ride more!

local trails rider

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Ovaries on the Outside
    no pics until jenson comes....she'll be all built next week-ish and i'll definitely post.

in the winter i like SS (2:1) ratio cause it snows a ton here and i find it easier to push the studs through the deep snow with a nice solid SS setup.

in the summer i'd prefer an SS setup but i can't go fast on the road, climb the rockies, and pull my kids in the trailer all with the same gear, but i stick with 1x9 cause i hate the front dérailleur.

i'm not going to beat the square taper horse any more, but it was a great system 15 years ago . i really LIKE the external standard, and so does the unicorn.

just an IMO like every other bit of crap we all spew on the emptybeer.
    My external bb always sound and run like shite after a few hundred miles. However, I feel like I shouldn't argue with the pretty unicorn.

Gotcha on the 1x9. I actually run a foot front derailer on a 2x5 set up from time to time. If I do 1x9 the small cogs ending up wearing out too quickly.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    My external bb always sound and run like shite after a few hundred miles. However, I feel like I shouldn't argue with the pretty unicorn.

Gotcha on the 1x9. I actually run a foot front derailer on a 2x5 set up from time to time. If I do 1x9 the small cogs ending up wearing out too quickly.
    Square Taper FTW