Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

chainrings and the 4-bolt mafia

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  nuck_chorris 
#1 ·
hi
i'm having a problem. i have a sweet new monstercross bike (singular peregrine). i want to run it SS in the winter, 1x9 in the summer. for 1x9 i want to run around a 40-44t chainring to keep a balance between road and offroad. for SS i want to run around 36-40t chainring since i have the cogs to make a 2:1

i have shitmano 4-bolt cranks, and wasn't really budgeting for new cranks...but there aren't any 4-bolt non-ramped chainrings bigger than 36t? why?

and why are all the 5-bolt cranks (that aren't road cranks) some idiotic square taper setup?(sorry guys, square taper really is stupid and my mind won't be changed)

semi-rhetorical questions, although if someone can help me on my quest it's appreciated!

#5 ·
boomn said:
Salsa makes 42, 44, and 48t versions of their SS rings. I've been very happy with my Salsa 36t ring
thanks Boomn!

i just won a set of old school dura-ace cranks on fleabay (by accident LOL) so it looks like for now i'm going the 5-bolt route anyways, and eating my own words on square taper. he he he...

#10 · (Edited)
Sparticus said:
Mr. ferday, up until this post, you were someone I respected and trusted.

--sParty
LOL

ironically, while i was actually using the search function i came across no less than 3 posts of yours touting the awesomeness of square taper. one was from 2006 no less (where you were discussing some insanely long bullseye cranks)

hey man, at least i agree with you about the 5-bolt thing.... :D

and stupid may have been harsh but i just like the external standard...

#12 ·
ferday said:
and why are all the 5-bolt cranks (that aren't road cranks) some idiotic square taper setup?(sorry guys, square taper really is stupid and my mind won't be changed)
I'd be pissed, but the unicorn was really cute.

Oh well, you'll realize the beauty of square taper with the ebay pick up. Square taper and five bolt- best system out there, a ***** to find for mountain bikes.

I think it is weird you are planning on 1x9 in the summer. Winter sludge is the only time I want gears. Also, are you looking at a gear range? I'm just saying that because you'll feel drag on the high and low of your cassette range. I'm pretty sure I can feel it and I'm not making it up. Anyway, I ran a 1x8 for about three months, burned out the small teeth in that same tire period and the cassette started skipping. For that reason, I think it makes a lot of sense to do 2x- your cassette will last longer and you're already having to deal with derailers in any case.

Just some thoughts. I do want to see pictures. Singulars are awfully tempting.

#14 ·
umarth said:
I'd be pissed, but the unicorn was really cute.

Oh well, you'll realize the beauty of square taper with the ebay pick up. Square taper and five bolt- best system out there, a ***** to find for mountain bikes.

I think it is weird you are planning on 1x9 in the summer. Winter sludge is the only time I want gears. Also, are you looking at a gear range? I'm just saying that because you'll feel drag on the high and low of your cassette range. I'm pretty sure I can feel it and I'm not making it up. Anyway, I ran a 1x8 for about three months, burned out the small teeth in that same tire period and the cassette started skipping. For that reason, I think it makes a lot of sense to do 2x- your cassette will last longer and you're already having to deal with derailers in any case.

Just some thoughts. I do want to see pictures. Singulars are awfully tempting.
no pics until jenson comes....she'll be all built next week-ish and i'll definitely post.

in the winter i like SS (2:1) ratio cause it snows a ton here and i find it easier to push the studs through the deep snow with a nice solid SS setup.

in the summer i'd prefer an SS setup but i can't go fast on the road, climb the rockies, and pull my kids in the trailer all with the same gear, but i stick with 1x9 cause i hate the front dérailleur.

i'm not going to beat the square taper horse any more, but it was a great system 15 years ago . i really LIKE the external standard, and so does the unicorn.

just an IMO like every other bit of crap we all spew on the emptybeer.

#18 ·
ferday said:
no pics until jenson comes....she'll be all built next week-ish and i'll definitely post.

in the winter i like SS (2:1) ratio cause it snows a ton here and i find it easier to push the studs through the deep snow with a nice solid SS setup.

in the summer i'd prefer an SS setup but i can't go fast on the road, climb the rockies, and pull my kids in the trailer all with the same gear, but i stick with 1x9 cause i hate the front dérailleur.

i'm not going to beat the square taper horse any more, but it was a great system 15 years ago . i really LIKE the external standard, and so does the unicorn.

just an IMO like every other bit of crap we all spew on the emptybeer.
My external bb always sound and run like shite after a few hundred miles. However, I feel like I shouldn't argue with the pretty unicorn.

Gotcha on the 1x9. I actually run a foot front derailer on a 2x5 set up from time to time. If I do 1x9 the small cogs ending up wearing out too quickly.

#19 ·
umarth said:
My external bb always sound and run like shite after a few hundred miles. However, I feel like I shouldn't argue with the pretty unicorn.

Gotcha on the 1x9. I actually run a foot front derailer on a 2x5 set up from time to time. If I do 1x9 the small cogs ending up wearing out too quickly.
Square Taper FTW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.