mtbr member

chainring question

I've got my old bike all torn apart, and cleaned up. I have a set of bontrager race cranks with a 32t ring, and was wondering which side to put the ring on, outside or inside (where it was mounted)?
    It looks like the 17t from my cassette will go on without needing a tensioner, but I want to get an 18. There are lots of short steep climbs, and that seems the norm around here.

Thanks.

King Pin

Smile Outside

Since you have a cassette, chainline can be achieved by moving the rear cog amongst the spacers. So....my vote goes to "chainring on the outside", for purely aesthetic reasons.

My fixie roadie has the chainring on the inside of the DA crank, and it just doesn't "look right"....to ME.

Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I've got my old bike all torn apart, and cleaned up. I have a set of bontrager race cranks with a 32t ring, and was wondering which side to put the ring on, outside or inside (where it was mounted)?
    It looks like the 17t from my cassette will go on without needing a tensioner, but I want to get an 18. There are lots of short steep climbs, and that seems the norm around here.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    You can put it on either side as long as the chainline remains straight. I run my ring on the outside just for looks.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    If it's the big chainring, I like the look of it mounted on the outside of the spider. But if it's the middle chainring, i.e. the 32T you're talking about, then I'm a big fan on mounting that on inside of the spider with a bashguard on the outside.