Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Chainguards - Why?

Sorry for the rookie inquiry, but is there some reason why it's bad to not have a chainguard? Seems like there's enough tension on the chain on a typical SS to keep things on track (and if the BMX hucksters don't need one, well then...).

If I've started another holy war (i.e. disks vs. v-brakes), I apologize in advance....

S

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by sawhite
    Sorry for the rookie inquiry, but is there some reason why it's bad to not have a chainguard? Seems like there's enough tension on the chain on a typical SS to keep things on track (and if the BMX hucksters don't need one, well then...).

If I've started another holy war (i.e. disks vs. v-brakes), I apologize in advance....

S
    Some people ride their bikes over obstacles on a trail such as logs/rocks/small children. It protects not only the chain but the chainring.

glyphic bacon
    By "chainguard" I assume you're talking about the bashguard ring that is bolted to the crank adjacent to the chainring? If so, the primary reason for it is to protect the chainring (and chain) from being bent/damaged/broken from encounters with rocks, logs etc. It also serves to stiffen/strengthen the crank's spider making things a bit more robust. Although for me, I usually run without one and just go naked chainring. So far no real problems with occasional log hop rubs. But if I rode through big rock gardens every day, I'd keep one on.

Sorry for the rookie inquiry, but is there some reason why it's bad to not have a chainguard? Seems like there's enough tension on the chain on a typical SS to keep things on track (and if the BMX hucksters don't need one, well then...). If I've started another holy war (i.e. disks vs. v-brakes), I apologize in advance....S

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I run a huge bmx-style chain a la PC-7X and either a BMX or DH chainring...with that combo, nothing has ever been damaged.

I think it's also because when going over logs, etc, it's usually at super slow speeds, preventing harm.

Come to think of it, out of the many folks I ride with who use a bashgaurd..most have it on there...because it was on there when they got the ride....I've never seen one "use it..."

mtbr member

my chain

the chain on my ENO protects the chainring.

But my White Ind cranks that aren't ENO, I do have a chainguard for the bling factor, but they're just gimmicks otherwise.

mtbr member

I took mine off

But finally found a reason for it...
    I was doing a steep out of the saddle climb last week on my SS 29er and my chain came off the chainring to the outside I thought my chain broke , luckily no injury.
    This happend because my chain has streched and I haven't adjusted the ebb...
    I took it off in the first place to make it easier to keep the chain and ring clean and save a little weight...
    I'm keeping a bashring on my Surly 1x1 to protect my bellbottom jeans when I ride around town intoxicated
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

29 some of the time...
    Keeps my pants out of the chainring when doing beer/town runs

I have run both ways and that is the only real reason I can come up on for myself. When I have bashed logs both with and without no damage incurred. I am not really into bashing rocks, pay to much for my equipment for that.

mtbr member
    I don't have or use one but I can see at least 2 uses for it.

1) Safety - could prevent chainring cuts on your legs during a fall.
    2) Stenght - if you use a triple ring crankset and installed the chainring in the middle ring position the bash guard helps by adding strenght to the setup just like the big ring will do on a multiple ring setup.

Other than that IMO is just for the bing factor.

JAK
    mtbr member

depends on...

where you live and what you ride. I have hit rocks that I thought I had the clearance for and snapped my chain and bent some teeth. For NorthernRocky trials trails I like it. For buffy/smoothy stuff, I 'd say you don't need one. I think the trail and your style dictates its necessity.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    I don't have or use one but I can see at least 2 uses for it.

1) Safety - could prevent chainring cuts on your legs during a fall.
    2) Stenght - if you use a triple ring crankset and installed the chainring in the middle ring position the bash guard helps by adding strenght to the setup just like the big ring will do on a multiple ring setup.

Other than that IMO is just for the bing factor.
    I ride in Central texas and use a bash guard for the two reason's DiRtDeVil mentions, plus add
    3) Protect chainring when crossing rock gardens and rock stairs/ledges

-MIME

mtbr member

My...

bash guard on my Surly is full of tiny dents and dings that it absorbed as opposed to the chain or chain ring taking the abuse. As stated before, if you ride over obstacles, one seems necessary, from my point of view.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you're converting a bike and you are using a normal crankset you will either have to get shorter chainring bolts or a bash ring to run a single speed setup. I found out that it was cheaper to get a bash ring than a set of shorter chainring bolts so I went with the bash ring. But, yeah, it pretty much serves no purpose for me other than to allow me to use normal chainring bolts.

Steamroller

with or without

I agree with most of the reasons stated, where I ride I don't need one. I have kept them on if they came with the bike or crank, but usually don't put one on otherwise. My urban utility project bike will have one because it is already on the crank and to keep pants out of the chain. I have learned the hard way that if an obstacle is big enough to hit my chainring, it is safer to go around it or lift my bike over it. Call me a wimp, but I prefer not to fall onto big rocks and logs
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member

trials use...

I have a friend who goes through chainguards at the rate of one a season, but hes uses his in his trials attempts (he's actually pretty good)...other than that, i have never used mine...i think it just looks cool, like when i wear my lycra shorts...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

S
    Another thing to consider. If you are a clumbsy , unskilled rider like me a bashguard may protect your drivetrain from your mistakes, like when you think you can clear a log but end up coming to a crashing halt halfway across.

mtbr member

Helps keep...

...my creamy white calf clean of chain spooge. Actually I don't run one on my SS because for some reason I can't get chain clearance - my Surly SS chainring isn't offset towards the inside like the geared rings for my cranks (Race Face Turbines).

I run it on my gearies though as I rarely have the need for the big ring and I hate taking chunks out of my legs when I fall down go boom. It also keeps my creamy white calf clean.

Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

resident crackpot
    I originally began using one on my ProFlex 856 when I took off the unneeded big ring. I never used it and found a good deal on a Kooka ring guard, I put 'er on. When I got my Bontrager from GuitarTed, I did the same thing, but for what ended up being a different reason. I rode it as 1x8 for a while and had some problems tossing the chain to the inside and outside. I put the guard on this bike, and bought an N-Gear Jump Stop for the inside. Problem solved. When I SSed 'er up, I just left it on as jewelry. I have recently ridden with it off under heavy lodaing and experienced no problems. Some people need them, some don't, some just don't care either way. I do know that my daughter likes the fact that I put one on her bike to keep her pants out of the chain. So that is another reason that someone else stated that is also viable.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Unless you are using weak chainrings there is no need to a guard/bashring. A thin ring can be bent on a log/rock crossing.

I have bashed, scraped, crashed my ring and chain into countless rocks and logs with no ring/tooth/chain damage. The chain itself does a pretty good job protecting the teeth.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Well I am going to run a salsa bashguard on my salsa chainring(current ss build). figured why not? I often try to jump things that are out of my experience, figure it may be money well spent, I may or may not leave it on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Unless you are using weak chainrings there is no need to a guard/bashring. A thin ring can be bent on a log/rock crossing.

I have bashed, scraped, crashed my ring and chain into countless rocks and logs with no ring/tooth/chain damage. The chain itself does a pretty good job protecting the teeth.
    True, but it also depends on type and shape of the rocks. One of 3 trail areas where my bash guard touches actually digs into the metal where the others usually just scratch, and same place wrecked big ring on my XT crank.

To be honest, protecting the drive train has not been an issue for my single and 7 speed rigs.

For those considering a purchase: The smooth edged products will slide on logs compared to the ones with some teeth or a knurled edge. That took a bit of getting used to.

Harmonius Wrench

Okay, what about those "rear" cog guides?

Sorry to "hi-jack" this thread, but what is you guys stand on the rear cog guides that I've seen on a few rigs posted here? Just bling? Serve a purpose? I can see where it would have saved me alot of grief when, recently, my chain jumped ship to the inside of the rear cog and ground off all my driveside spokes! ! What say you?

mtbr member
    Chainring guards seem more prevalent on SS bikes. When I got my first mtb back in the early 90s they were more popular with geared bikes than they seem to be now (I haven't seen a chainguard an a geared bike in a looooong time). I had a Rock Ring on my old Cannondale but after realizing that I could get over everything pretty smoothly without it I took it off. Especially after realizing that I'd rather replace a broken chainring than a bent crank/spider if I ever hit something really hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    a bashguard is good on a geared bike cause usually if your going over a log your not in your big ring and those teeth will stick like velcro to said log and toss you on your bum...

on dual ring setups like my freeride bike i still have one in case i try to go over a log in my granny so my middle ring wont take a bite out of the log; and to keep my chain from going over the top when i accidentally shift into the big ring that is no longer there.

on a single the chain on the ring smooths the rings profile out so if it makes contact it just slides right over...

no bashring here and i can't really see a point to having one other than the fact that it does look cool.

I run a bash ring on the ss, because this is what happens to big rings in New England.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    bash guard with a single front chainring? why? buy a steel chainring and a bmx chain. as both padre and shiggy have said already chain and ring are gonna be stronger than a bash guard. without a bashguard you have better clearance to boot.

as for chain guides, keep your chain properly tensioned and chainline properly adjusted and you won't need and guides.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast