mtbr member
    Jan 2004

chain tugs for old horizontal drops

i have a early 90's GT with horiz drops and QR skewers that has done quite well as a commuter, but i am worried about slippage once I start laying on it in the bush. I know there are planty of tugs for track style rear facing dropouts, but are there products for the front facing drop outs?

TG spring is here - looking forward to riding home in shorts!

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

none needed

virtually all road bikes built prior to the late 80s, as well as most all early mountain bikes, had horizontal dropouts, and nary a one of them had chain tugs. loaded touring bikes used gearing just as low as today's mountain bikes, and with their panniers full, could weigh 50 or 60 lbs easy. the reason is that back then boutique yuppiescum superduperlightweight quick release skewers had not yet been invented. all the skewers back then had steel faces, not aluminum faces like now. in addition, most all the hubs back then had serrated steel locknut faces. some still do, but many now have aluminum locknut faces. with steel skewer ends and steel locknut faces, a securely clamped quick release will not slip, even when using very low gears.
    In my decades of riding road bikes with horizontals I never pulled a wheel.

paintbucket
    I do this on a semi-vertical dropout since even my old school Shimmy hubs/skewers can slip when I really torque off road. You can get a cheap aluminum chain tug and grind the guide off so its flat on the face that mates with the dropout. Then just install it like a regular tug, i.e., with the tensioner screws set against the back of the dropout. If that doesn't make sense, look at a tug and think about it some. I keep as little of the set screws showing between the tug and the dropout as possible so they don't bend on the curved surface of the dropout, but that's probably overkill.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.