Faster Than Your TV!

Chain tug on a Cross Check?...

Anybody using a chain tug on their Cross Check. If yes, do you need to?

Just thinking about a sudden axle slip on my fixie while bustin' up a steep one and thinking that it would be a very bad thing.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt

Just thinking about a sudden axle slip on my fixie while bustin' up a steep one and thinking that it would be a very bad thing.
    It has the semi-horizontals, right? If so you could do something like this that was posted recently on the old board. Takes a little bit of modification though.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

I am the owl
    Use some proper track nuts, crank them down nice and tight and you'll be fine. Been doing it for quite a while on the crosscheck and the frame before it.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile XCheck SS

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt

I've been riding a SS XCheck for 2 years now without a tug, with QR cassette wheels. Tighten it down hard and you should be OK. I commute up a fairly steep hill for 10 miles and it has never slipped. Good Luck, AlaskaPat

Recovering couch patato
    I'm now running my SS CC with a Surly hub with nuts, that should be tight enough to last a lifetime. Before I use a Shimano QR on a standard hub. I might invest more time in filing and grinding the dropouts rougher, but I manage a 2-hour fun ride or a 1-hour race on it before the chain slackens up unacceptably.
    The Surly wheel came from my Pacer (non-SS specific frame), I think I'll have it stay on the Cross-Check now, SS specific hub on a semi-horizontal fram,e it makes sence. It was always a pain to get the Surly nuts past the Surly Singleatorwhen chaenging the wheel. I guess I'll try to true an old road wheel and put that in the Pacer with a crit gear of 52-16. The Cross-Check (latest buy) will do duty as a commuter. Now 34-16 for CX racing, cummuting probably 42-16 or thereabouts. My commute is long and flat with only some bridges (DUH, I'm from Holland).