mtbr member

Chain Tensioners with full suspension frame

i'm interested in picking up a chain tensioner to use in situations (like this past weekend) when my derailleur breaks and i have to convert to single speed to pedal out of the trail. i have a 2 chain ring full suspension bike..and i'm wondering in something like the Singulator will work for me or if i have to get something like a Shimano Alfine Tensioner is more appropriate wiith a full suspension bike. what i like about the Singulator in that the chain guide moves horizontally so it's possible to move the chain to another rear cog...the Alfine doesn't allow this but does allow for more frame movement that will effect the tension of the chain. thoughts? thanks!

AKA Dr.Nob
    If you want to go to the trouble of carrying a rear derailleur sized object why not just carry a spare rear derailleur?
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Fall guy
    A Singleator probably won't work with a cassette due to the wheels on either side fo the gear. (not to mention it will change your chain length.)

The alfine may not change you chain length, and looks like it wont hit the casette, but it weighs about as much as a derailleur.

Also a chain tensioner may not prevent the chain from skipping between gears like a derailleur will.

Also if your beating up your derailleur there a good chance you knocked the derailleur hanger out of wack also. (both those options hang from that.)

About a month ago I bend my hanger and ripped my brand new x.0 derailleur off with the spokes. I rode a getto single speed for the rest of the ride. Then bought a single speed when I got back. Haven't looked back since.

If your really sold on the geared bike I would recomend carrying another derailleur like the post above.

mtbr member
    thanks for the feed back. i did pick up a spare derauilleur but was looking for additional options. thought it might be easier to carry the tensioner vs the spare derailleur. good point about the hanger. luckily my hanger survived although i do carry an exrtra one. also saw the KORE chain tensioner..mounts to the chainstay. again its just a emp fix to get me off the trail...without tearign my chain apart to comvert to the single speed. agreed the best option in just to carry the extra derailleur.

mtbr member
    A Yess etr-v may work for you. A bit expensive for a backup device but a neat alternative to a regular drivetrain. I using one my Coiler and it works great (nothing like a 42 pound single speed), the kid I ride is using one one his 2 X 1 Coiler, it has more than enough throw to handle the 2 rings he's running up front without any issues.

Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    yea...saw the YESS option...but at $80 it's $$$ than my derailleur the nice thing about the singulator is that the wheel floats horizontally so i dont have to set it up on my smallest rear ring like i'd have to do with the YESS. again...it's for an emergcy fix so maybe i shouldn't be so picky. was trying to see if theres a way to salvage my old (busted) deraillieur and use it as a tensioner if needed. the lower part is intact and works, got sheared off by a rock where it attaches to the hanger...so if i can figure a way to attached it, that might work. hmmm..thought the hanger was supposed to break off in those situations, thus saving the derailleur....go figure.

Happy trails

+1 for the Yess ert-v

converted my dually to an SS.Works great!
    Aaron