Cormac

Chain tensioners and disc brakes

So i installed some elixir 3s on my single speed, and i am having a problem with the chain tensioners. I tension the chain perfectly, and straighten out the wheel, but whenever I pull the rear brake the wheel moves backwards only on the brake side of the wheel and the tire rubs against the frame and my rotors rub. Can anyone help me?
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Are you using bolt on or qr rear hub? I run a tensioner with Hope disc brakes and a bolt on hub on my Bianchi and I have never experienced the problem you described.

Cormac
    i have a quick release on there....hmmm maybe thats the problem?
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    what kind of QR? maybe you need a stronger one that holds tighter. photos of your setup please?

mtbr member
    I was gonna ask the same thing. Shimano XT cam style is your friend when it somes to sliding dropouts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
    I was gonna ask the same thing. Shimano XT cam style is your friend when it somes to sliding dropouts.
    I <3 Shimano skewers, and refuse to use anything else.

mtbr member
    Here's Sheldon dropping some knowledge on ya

Bicycle Quick-release Skewers

Cormac
    heres some photos of that whole area. the quick release on there came with the wheelset which is an FSA-Xc290
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain tensioners and disc brakes-img_0199%5B1%5D.jpg  

'11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

Cormac
    so according to sheldon i should get some of the enclosed cam qr skewers?
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindudespike View Post
    so according to sheldon i should get some of the enclosed cam qr skewers?
    Well if you want the strongest clamping skewers...then yes. I just got a set of XT skewers on Ebay for $15 shipped. I haven't had a bit of slip and I don't even use a tensioner on my brake side

mtbr member
    Is that the Deadeye by the way? I have a 17" black one.

Cormac
    yes it is the deadeye! and I geuss ill make my way to the shop and get some shimano skewers!

thanks a bunch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain tensioners and disc brakes-dsc06443.jpg  

'11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I thought the chain tensioner would keep the wheel from pulling forward? But looking at your pic, it looks like the QR isn't all the way forward in the tensioner slot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    I thought the chain tensioner would keep the wheel from pulling forward? But looking at your pic, it looks like the QR isn't all the way forward in the tensioner slot.
    My tensioner is a chopped up home made deal and I have my chain very short.

When you get the skewers...take the brake side tensioner off. Let the teeth of the skewer bite into the dropout, that's what holds it.

This is the best way to straighten the wheel when locking the skewer with no brake side tensioner, I've found.Adjust the chain side tensioner until the chain is almost tight (this will pull the front of the wheel towards the chain)...then grab the front of the wheel behind the seatpost tube and pull towards the brake side until the wheel is straight between the frame...hold it in that position and lock the skewer. Done!

This method has always worked for me. Don't be afraid to scuff the dropouts with the skewers...if you want it to hold LOL. Also when straightening wheel...it will pull the chain tighter...so pull the wheel and loosen chain tension if needed before locking the skewers.

Any other ???s, just ask.

Cormac
    alright so I swapped my FSA skewers with these shimano ones that were on an older bike. They work perfectly! The wheel no longer slips backwards when you pull the rear brake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain tensioners and disc brakes-img_0200%5B1%5D.jpg  

'11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    alright so I swapped my FSA skewers with these shimano ones that were on an older bike. They work perfectly! The wheel no longer slips backwards when you pull the rear brake.
    Awesome! Shimano skewers are a must on these dropouts. I'm still a fan of only one tensioner though...quicker to remove/install wheel with only one. That's my opinion though LOL.

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    I thought the same? On the rear wheel, the disk brake should pull the wheel deeper into the dropouts. If the chain tensioner is pulling back, the wheel shouldn't be able to move.

Cormac
    okay so i just went out for a ride with the shimano skewers down the steepest and rockiest trail in the area. Everything held up fine, and the wheel didnt move at all!!! thanks a bunch!
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I noticed disc brakes can over time very slowly pull even a bolt on wheel back. Make it super tight.

mtbr member
    okay so i just went out for a ride with the shimano skewers down the steepest and rockiest trail in the area. Everything held up fine, and the wheel didnt move at all!!! thanks a bunch!
    Nice! You can definitely feel the difference in clamping power when using shimano. And I believe they look much more classier as well.