Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Tensioner - Up or Down?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  EBasil 
#1 ·
I am building up a SS using an 09 Salsa Mamasita. I know that there are "magic gears" but I don't want to limit my gearing purely for the sake of aesthetics. I have a Surly Singleator and I'm not sure if I should run it with the spring tension pushing up or down. Does it even matter? Looking at the chain slack I think that I could use it either way. Would like some opinions from those with experience. Thanks.

#7 ·
up.

but not because of better chain wrap. unless one is running a 14t or smaller cog they will not have any increased efficiency, power, decreased wear, or (insert reason here) by the "increase" in chain wrap or tooth engagement. and even then it would be minuscule at best.

however, up generally seems to provide a tighter chain with less slop and bounce which is desirable for a number of reasons.

it looks better too.

however, if one changes gearing a lot by more than a couple of teeth then they should consider a push down spring because it will allow them to have a longer chain to accommodate the gearing variations than will a push up spring.

#10 ·
I prefer "up" and use that on my primary bike. It does mean I've got to manipulate things to get the wheel on and off, but that's not the biggest issue -- the Singulator springs are too weak to hold things firmly so, like many" this means I used a helper spring created out of free-range rubber bands, ho ho.

On my wife's SS, I used a Performance stores singulator knock-off that only pushed down but secures very well. There is less teeth engagement but it works very well and she doesn't have a rubber band looped around her chainstay.

Do what works and get the chainline straight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.