mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Chain tensioner question

I'm new to single speeding and currently looking for a quick way to make my carbon Highball a part time SS, basically the most simplest way. The two options I'm looking at is the Origin 8 Pulsion dual wheel derailleur or a single arm Surley tensioner. From others experiences does one perform better than the other?

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I'm new to single speeding and currently looking for a quick way to make my carbon Highball a part time SS, basically the most simplest way. The two options I'm looking at is the Origin 8 Pulsion dual wheel derailleur or a single arm Surley tensioner. From others experiences does one perform better than the other?
    The Surly one works splendidly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    The Surly one works splendidly.
    as long as you keep a re-usable zip tie around in case it decides to de-spring itself.

mtbr member
    I use a Bachelor Gusset fixed tensioner. It works great.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    as long as you keep a re-usable zip tie around in case it decides to de-spring itself.
    Or tighten it properly as per the instructions: http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...leatorInfo.pdf

Refer to step 11:

Tension the Singleator spring by slipping an 18mm cone wrench onto the wrench flats of the pivot bushing and tension as follows: PUSHING
    DOWN spring, turn CLOCKWISE. PUSHING UP spring, turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE. If you do it wrong, you’re going to ruin the spring. Once you
    have adequate tension, fully tighten the pivot bolt

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Or tighten it properly as per the instructions: http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...leatorInfo.pdf

Refer to step 11:

Tension the Singleator spring by slipping an 18mm cone wrench onto the wrench flats of the pivot bushing and tension as follows: PUSHING
    DOWN spring, turn CLOCKWISE. PUSHING UP spring, turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE. If you do it wrong, you’re going to ruin the spring. Once you
    have adequate tension, fully tighten the pivot bolt
    Oh, that's what everyone does wrong? Doh. I'll just go tell the 500 people I know who run or have run that tensioner that they're idiots who obviously didn't read the instructions!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Try and find the magic gear and if your are close use a half link. I am running a geared bike with it's magic gear with zero issues.

In my opinion, chain tensioners are temporary/band-aid fixes. It's fine for trying out SS-ing, but for a dedicated SS rig, get a SS frame.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    In my opinion, chain tensioners are temporary/band-aid fixes. It's fine for trying out SS-ing, but for a dedicated SS rig, get a SS frame.
    I couldn't agree more.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    ... Origin 8 Pulsion dual wheel derailleur...
    You'd think a simple sprung arm with one pully wheel would work fine on a hardtail, wouldn't you. In practice the Singleator worked poorly for me. Back when I was sticking my toe in the SS waters by converting my geared bike, nothing worked better than an old derailleur (I used a Campy Record). So although I haven't personally tried the Origin8 Pro Pulsion dual wheel tensioner, it looks to me like it's pretty well designed/built and I think it will work best.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I concur as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    Try and find the magic gear and if your are close use a half link. I am running a geared bike with it's magic gear with zero issues.
    +1

Use this calculator and see if there is a magic gear option: http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

Always nice not to have to mess around with a tensioner.

Dinner for wolves
    Although I agree that the best solution is a SS friendly frame with some kind of variable chainstay length, I have had a good experience running a Surly Tensioner on two different bikes. The OP has a very nice carbon frame that he wants to press into dual service. Nothing wrong with using a tensioner to accomplish this. When I used the Surly, I took the time to find a gear combo that would allow me to use the tensioner in a push-up configuration. I also chose not to go with the spring and instead used a zip tie on purpose. With the zip tie I could dial in the tension I wanted and I had total confidence that it would not "quit" working when things got rough. Getting the right gear combo for this required some time with the the eehouse chain length calculator, and in the case of one of the bikes, a half-link set up (search Gusset slink and KMC link for a bombproof set-up). The only problem I ever had in over year on those set-ups was difficult rear wheel removal. Still a PIA. No free lunch here, I suppose.
    I have also used a fixed tensioner (no spring) and hated the lack of adjustability (chain line). I have used the Alfine tensioner on a FSSS and it worked well enough, but it was pretty heavy. I have not used the Eno eccentric hub yet, but that would be a good middle of the road option for the OP. He could avoid tensioners, use his current frame, and only have to invest in a rear wheel build...provided the disc adapter worked with his brakes.
    Personally, if I was in the OP's shoes, I would try the Surly as a push-up tensioner. It would require such a minimal cash investment. If that didn't work out, he could go with an ENO Eccentric rear wheel.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys. I will give the Surly a try and see what kind of results is brings. If that doesn't work I have an extra wheelset that could easily be built up with the Eno hub as buddhak recommended. I should have this up and running today. Right now with everything installed except for the chain and tensioner the bike weighs in at 18 pounds.....