mtbr member
    May 2007

chain tension problem on 1x1

I've finally got the driveline put together on my Surly 1x1 and am experiencing some problems. First off here are my components:
    -Surly 1x1 w/73mm wide bb
    -Stylo 1.1 cranks w/no spacer
    -Surly new rear hub
    -ENO 19t
    -SRAM 8sp 870 chain
    -Surly Tuggnut

If I leave a little slack in the chain and begin to pedal, I notice there is at least one spot during the stroke where the chain gets tight. Is this normal? Does the chain need to stretch? I didn't notice any tight links on the chain itself, but something has to be out of whack here.

Thanks,

Ben

Witty McWitterson
    Do we need a sticky on chain tension?

Yes, this is pretty normal. Much as we'd like to think everything on the SS drivetrain is perfectly round, it ain't. The freewheel is, the hub is, the BB is, but your chain ring is most likely the culprit here.

Leave all the parts on. Loose the chain ring bolts a bit. Not too much. You want the chain ring loose, but not falling off. You want it to be able to move a bit while you find its sweet spot. Spin the drivetrain backwards, Find the most neutral spot, stop, and tighten down the bolts. Repeat until binding is minimized.

I doubt you'll be bind free, but you'll be able to get close. I've only been bind free once. Set up was White Ind. freewheel, Surly Mr. Whirly cranks, and a Salsa ring. Literally every other set up has had some form of bind in it.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Do we need a sticky on chain tension?

Yes, this is pretty normal. Much as we'd like to think everything on the SS drivetrain is perfectly round, it ain't. The freewheel is, the hub is, the BB is, but your chain ring is most likely the culprit here.

Leave all the parts on. Loose the chain ring bolts a bit. Not too much. You want the chain ring loose, but not falling off. You want it to be able to move a bit while you find its sweet spot. Spin the drivetrain backwards, Find the most neutral spot, stop, and tighten down the bolts. Repeat until binding is minimized.

I doubt you'll be bind free, but you'll be able to get close. I've only been bind free once. Set up was White Ind. freewheel, Surly Mr. Whirly cranks, and a Salsa ring. Literally every other set up has had some form of bind in it.
    That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    having the same exact problem as well and thanks for the heads up martini!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    When you tension your chain, check the tension by back pedaling by hand. My chain isn't tight and it's not loose either. It's loose enough so that when I back pedal by hand everything rotates freely. No tight spots. I wouldn't want a loose chain. Less efficient.