mtbr member

chain tension options

sorry, another of these threads.

i have a a Gunnar Rockhound frame (415mm chainstays) with vertical dropouts and and a Paul Word hub. it's geared at 32/18, which is a bit spinny even for a noob like me. i also have a new 1/8" bmx chain (KMC 710 "kool") because i don't trust those flimsy race chains. i can never get the tension just right. currently, i took the shouldered centering washers off the hub bolts and i am running the axle slightly below the center of the dropout.

i am considering two options:

1. add a half-link to the chain (i have one in my toolbox) and put a chain tensioner on it. i can get a tensioner from my LBS for $20.

2. get a 17t freewheel, which would bring my gearing up a bit and should fit just about right according to my calculations on this site: http://eehouse.org/fixin/javafmu.php

the problem with (2) is that, once the chain starts to stretch, it will be loose and i will have to buy a new chain again or get a tensioner anyways. but i want that higher ratio at some point, might as well start now.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 03-11-2009 at 05:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Magic gearers do tend to have to change their chains more often, cause that's their only option. You've answered your question, get a tensioner. But I thought the Rockhound had
    sliders? You're saying it's a vertical dropout?

mtbr member
    nope, it has vertical drops.

i am going to get a 17t freewheel for now and when the chain starts to stretch, i will have saved up some money for a decent tensioner. right now i don't have enough spare cash for one, but i can afford a $15 freewheel. the $20 tensioner they were going to order for me at the shop looked cheesy, so i'm not settling for that. that will bring my gear ratio a little higher, which is something i wanted to do anyways. thx.