Thread: chain tension

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

chain tension

just built up my bike single speed for the first time and love it so far. Just had one question about chain tension/stretch

I bought the forte SS kit to do this project, but was able to run the chain with a half link and no tensioner, but the chain is pretty tight on there. I was hoping that after a few more miles the chain would stretch a little and then fit perfectly, but I also don't want to damage anything in the meantime. Will the chain stretch enough to stop the binding? Should add a link and put on the tensioner for a while then try again after stretching?

The chain is pretty tight, and creaks some but I dont notice it when pedaling foward, just backspinning

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerocker1
    just built up my bike single speed for the first time and love it so far. Just had one question about chain tension/stretch

I bought the forte SS kit to do this project, but was able to run the chain with a half link and no tensioner, but the chain is pretty tight on there. I was hoping that after a few more miles the chain would stretch a little and then fit perfectly, but I also don't want to damage anything in the meantime. Will the chain stretch enough to stop the binding? Should add a link and put on the tensioner for a while then try again after stretching?

The chain is pretty tight, and creaks some but I dont notice it when pedaling foward, just backspinning
    If it's tight, it's too tight.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Dive Bomber
    Even though it's a new chain I don't recommended to stretch the chain, it will damage not just the chain but also the hub and BB.

It's too tight, add one link will do or move the hub to loosen the tension if your bike use semi horizontal dropout.