mtbr member

chain tension ????

I am new to the SS world. I am riding a Jericho with a EBB. I am running 2:1 ratio. How tight should the chain be? This may sound like a simple stupid question but hey I just want to make certain I get my new ride dialed in.

Thanks

mtbr member
    You should be able to deflect it about 1/2" at the middle of the span between the front and rear rings. Realize that with most setups you will have some tighter and looser spots, if that is your case some compromise is in order. I look at it like a chainsaw chain...too tight and it kills RPMs :-D

mtbr member
    thanks for the tip. Also, I am using a SRAM PC59 chain on a 34 tooth Suffering and 17tooth Chris King cog. What chain would you recommend? Also, being that there is a lot more torgue involved with SSing, would it be safe to say that chains don't last as long on SS's? How often do you replace your chain?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I like the PC58 chain which is a bit stronger than the 9spd PC59.

SlowJoe
    Try the KMC 610 if you are looking for a heavy duty chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoom
    thanks for the tip. Also, I am using a SRAM PC59 chain on a 34 tooth Suffering and 17tooth Chris King cog. What chain would you recommend? Also, being that there is a lot more torgue involved with SSing, would it be safe to say that chains don't last as long on SS's? How often do you replace your chain?
    I would stay away from the 9 speed chains. Once the manufacturers started making 9 speed gearing, the chains became thinner (not as wide.) Most any 8 speed chain should be fine, but a lot of it depends on conditions and how often you care for it.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member

thanks

So an 8-speed would be the way to go huh? Sounds good to me. As far as caring for my chain/bike....I am pretty meticulous about keeping my rigs tip top. With the muddy season here I spend about 20 minutes cleaning after each ride. Any recommendations on the best 8-speed chain?

KgB
    SNGLSPD

quit cleaning so much...

part of the joy of a single speed for me is never doing much maintenance or cleaning.

I use a sram pc68 chain and shimano lube,have been for years,haven't wore one out yet either.

SS'ing is easier on chains IMHO,straight line no shifting=happy chain.

mtbr member

chain tension

I prefer the SRAM PC58, and yes I believe they wear out quicker on a singlespeed, maybe because of more torque as you said, or maybe because I just right the darn thing more!!

I use a Park Tool Chain Checker, and replace my chain when it gets close to 1% stretched. This will save you a lot of rings and cassettes on any bike.

highly visible

Yes, chains wear MUCH faster, IME

Singlespeeding puts a LOT more stress on a chain. In physical terms, riding up the same incline in a tall SS gear requires the same power to the wheel as in a granny gear, but in the tall gear the chain moves much slower. In order to transmit the same amount of power to the wheel, the slower-moving SS chain must be put under much greater tension.

In winter, when I'm riding in muck and crud a lot, I'm lucky to get 300 miles out of a chain. Of course I'm lazy and don't do much chain maintenance either, so that's partly my fault. Fortunately chains are cheap so I don't care much.

I recommend the SRAM PC-58. Inexpensive and (relatively) long-lasting, and the PowerLink kicks butt.