mtbr member
    May 2009

Chain to suit surly ring?

Just ordered a Surly 32t 104bcd front ring for my Kona Unit, does anyone have experience of a chain which works well with this ring? Surely recommends a 5-8 speed chain which seems a pretty broad field so would appreciate someone's knowledge of a specific chain that works well.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I use a SRAM 850 with my Surly 32T ring.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks Mark much appreciated will give the SRAM a go.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Seeeeearcccccccch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've used PC1's with great success. They're under ten bucks and they're durable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I've used PC1's with great success. They're under ten bucks and they're durable.
    same here.....no problems
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    P.S. a 9/10 speed chain will not work well with the rather wide Surly ring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've used Sram 9-speed chains on Surly rings on single speed and 1x9 setups without any issues whatsoever. I think the newer (within the past couple of years) Surly rings are slightly thinner to accommodate 9 (and maybe 10) speed chains.

That being said, if you're running a singlespeed setup w/ a Surly ring, just stick to a Sram PC-850. Cheaper than a 9-speed chain, and just as reliable/smooth (arguably more reliable due to the slightly thicker plates, but whatever).

Sram PC-1's and other 1/8" chains will work fine too, but some people complain of noisier drivetrains when running 1/8" chains on 3/32" cogs and chainrings. Won't hurt anything though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback fellas, will probably go with the SRAM as it seems to have a tough rep, I tend to mash on this bike and the boys are precious. Just for reference umarth a search of Surly+chain gets you zip (until now of course) .

Cheers

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Armbak View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback fellas, will probably go with the SRAM as it seems to have a tough rep, I tend to mash on this bike and the boys are precious. Just for reference umarth a search of Surly+chain gets you zip (until now of course) .

Cheers
    I suppose there are certain things I take for granted, but that is a terrible way to search, as Surly doesn't require a different chain than any other 3/32 chainring.

But you can use google for a mtbr site search and it gets lots and lots of hits for SS chains. The MTBR search is a little less sure and requires some work.

The FAQ doesn't have a "Which Chain to Use" sort of ****, I don't think, which is certainly an oversight, but still. Look at all the chain related questions we've had this week. It gets old and I've answered most of my own personal questions by looking for it.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    If you're going to use a Surly ring, especially a 4 bolt, for the love of dog use a bash guard!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    If you're going to use a Surly ring, especially a 4 bolt, for the love of dog use a bash guard!
    +2 ...one for each of the Surly rings that I've folded.

Quote Originally Posted by FKMTB07 View Post
    I think the newer (within the past couple of years) Surly rings are slightly thinner to accommodate 9 (and maybe 10) speed chains.
    I didn't know that Surly made their rings thinner. All I know is that I did try to set up a couple 1x9's with a Surly ring and 9 speed chains (probably PC990) and it was a no-go. This was a few years back, so if Surly re-worked their rings, it's entirely possible that it works now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks again everyone who responded, got to appreciate the beauty of collective knowledge forums, ask a straightforward question about a specific issue and come away armed with the answer plus bonus relevant information. Cutting out the tedious task of sifting through endless non specific references which answer half of what you are asking.