mtbr member

Chain ring setup help

On my Surly Karate Monkey the chain ring is mounted on the outside of the crank spider. Is there are problem having the ring on the outside? Most of the pictures I see have them on the inside. It seems I have to have the chain ring this way in order to get a good chain line since I'm using a WI freewheel and Phil Wood hub. Here is a picture for reference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Whatever position that gives you the ideal chainline is fine.

What could go wrong ...
    if it sets up the chainline just right ... then it doesnt matter if the chainring is on the inside or the outside ... I have 2 SS bikes and one is set up on the inside and the other is set up on the outside and both work perfectly for me
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reinforcement. I ask because I recently bent the Surly chainring in the picture and didn't know if it was due to being on the outside of the spider. Replaced with a Salsa so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting this idea that Surly steel chainrings are fairly easy to bend. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but it's on a 5-bolt spider on my road fixie. The 4-bolt version seems to be much less robust.

Also, double check that chainline. I bent some teeth on a ring pretty bad once, and went to check my chainline to find that even though it looked decent eyeballing it, it was actually about 1.5mm off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've had no probs with my 4 bolt Surly ring either, but I have heard it bends easy. They supposedly do better paired with a bashring.